Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Torchwood Children of Earth?

Torchwood Children of Earth?
Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2009, 10:31 AM

So, I just realized that Season 3 of Torchwood was out this week, last night. I've watched the first four episodes and am waiting for the last one tonight. (Ugh four straight hours and then just one more and not knowing what happens is killing me!)

Anyway, I confess while I've always loved Captain Jack, and have a huge man crush on Ianto, I've never really become a huge fan of Torchwood, at least not nearly as big of a fan as I am of Doctor Who. Personally I found season 1 of Torchwood to be kind of boring, season 2 started getting better especially with the addition of Martha Jones. Though in general I thought season 2 picked it up, the whole how long is it going to take before Owen is finally written out kinda dragged on.

Anyway, so impressions thus far, and I guess since it's so new we should probably use spoiler tags for things like,

design219
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2009, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I confess while I've always loved Captain Jack, and have a huge man crush on Ianto
I think they are out of your league.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 10, 2009, 11:28 AM

I didn't realize that gay guys had to specify when it's a man crush - I though that was assumed.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2009, 02:36 PM

You don't have to, but it's fun to.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2009, 03:13 PM

Is there anyone left alive on this show who actually can die?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Sage
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2009, 04:01 PM

I’ve always liked Doctor Who a lot more than Torchwood, but I have to say that Children of Earth is quite good (aside from a few niggles and plot holes), and more intense than I thought it’d be.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2009, 04:05 PM

Indeed, I have to say that Children of Earth is probably the best I've seen of Torchwood. I also think I like the way it works without Owen and Tosh. To be honest I never really liked Tosh I always thought she seemed like a wuss.

Children of Earth is doing a really good job. The only thing that I really don't like is how the 456 have a little chamber. Not to mention what the heck is with the thrashing sound effects?

Really though I'm enjoying it, can't wait for tonight's episode.

dzp111
Senior User
Jul 12, 2009, 09:38 PM

I really enjoyed this series. Torchwood seems to have 'matured'. Hoping for another series or two.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2009, 03:25 AM

Also hoping for more here, CoE was really good and apparently there's a series 4 'ready to go' Torchwood: Series 4 - "ready to go" - Den of Geek that depends on the reaction to CoE. So they must have a plan to carry it on, even in the state it's ended in terms of cast and location.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 13, 2009, 09:18 AM

Honestly, I'm not sure what to think about this.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2009, 10:44 AM

So, I'm really not sure what they're gonna do with Jack AWOL and Gwen preggers, and having a baby, almost sounds like they entirely plan on redoing the cast. Granted Jack could come back, but any future torchwood seems like it wouldn't be the same. I mean the rift machine is gone, all the cool weird stuff in the hub is gone, it's almost like to move to BBC one they decided to kill off major chunks of the show. I'm really unhappy about Ianto being killed off, IMO he was one of the best characters on the show.

I get the feeling that they're going to make Gwen the leader or something, and then have Martha, and perhaps Micky in there, with one or two newbies to do that whole surrogate for the viewer thing.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2009, 01:04 PM

My $0.02 on a cast for series 4. I think it will be set at least a few months after CoE, Jack does his thing in space for a while (probably in the next series of Doctor Who), Gwen would have had the baby for a while and will be ready to go. Martha was mentioned as having time off from Unit on honeymoon in CoE, so could still be a part of series 4. Lois was told she had a job in Torchwood whenever she finished the government job, Agent Johnson is a maybe, she came over to Torchwood's side after seeing the contact lens recordings. The only thing is that would be Jack and 4 women as Torchwood.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

dzp111
Senior User
Jul 13, 2009, 07:04 PM

There's no Torchwood without Jack. He said something very specific to Ianto: "I'm stuck in a point in time", which is why he can't die -he's stuck.

So where does that leave us? Time and space continuum. Jack 'left' for a reason and I'm thinking that he'll be back, and guess with who? Yep.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2009, 11:40 AM

Who could he be back with? The Doctor's not really good at bringing people back from the dead, only one that's ever done that recently was Rose when she looked into the heart of the Tardis and brought Jack back, or when they had the Risen Mitten. Both those aren't likely to happen. Not to mention when Rose prevented her dad from dying in Doctor Who through time travel the universe started to come apart.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by dzp111 View Post
There's no Torchwood without Jack. He said something very specific to Ianto: "I'm stuck in a point in time", which is why he can't die -he's stuck.
Jack is a fixed point IN time. When Rose resurrected him after the Daleks killed him she froze him at that specific point in his life. That's why he's immortal. He can however travel anywhere he wants in time and space, he'll just always be jack at that particular age.

Of course he does age verrrrrrry slowly if you take his grey hair gag at face value, or believe the throw away line about him being the Face of Boe.

Anyway there's nothing specifically tying Jack to earth, Cardiff or 2009. Originally he was simply waiting for the doctor to return and had identified the rift as the best spot to wait since the TARDIS would have to refuel at some point.

andi*pandi
Jul 16, 2009, 11:44 AM

<avoids spoilers>

So was this out on BBCAmerica, or did you non-UK guys get via BT? If the former, then Tivo and I have to have a talk.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2009, 10:16 AM

tvtorrents.com

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 17, 2009, 06:08 PM

I've only watched the show a couple of times, never really got into it (or Dr. Who for that matter), but I was just reading the that the death of lanto has caused a bit of backlash and accusations of homophobia. From what I've seen of the show, I never got that impression. For those of you that have seen it, what do you think about this?

Now I've got to watch CoE just to see what all the hysterics are about. As someone that doesn't watch the show, is watching the miniseries going to make any sense to me or is it something that doesn't stand on its own?
Nemo me impune lacesset

dzp111
Senior User
Jul 17, 2009, 07:21 PM

This homophobia accusation(s) surprises me a bit. Unless the gay people who watched the show have a louder voice than heterosexuals?

Personally, as a heterosexual, I'm never crazy about seeing 2 guys kissing, but the series' plots are what kept me watching.

It did seem that the guys kissing acts were much more fewer in numbers in COE compared to previous series. To each his/her own, but to me, crying 'foul' on the homophobic topic is a little off, if not exaggerated.

Sage
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2009, 07:35 PM

So every time an important straight character dies, that should be considered heterophobia? If Torchwood of all things is considered a homophobic show, then what show isn’t? Jesus.

ThinkInsane: You shouldn’t be too confused watching it on its own. It probably won’t be as emotional for you and you’ll obviously miss some references, but nothing important – they did a really good job with this series of balancing it for both newcomers and oldtimers.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2009, 10:34 AM

I don't know how it can be homophobic, Ianto's death if anything makes you feel for their love and all that stuff. Granted if in series 4 Jack started banging a bunch of women it'd be less good... whatever.

andi*pandi
Aug 4, 2009, 03:13 PM

Jack is bi-anything-that-moves-sexual. Of course he'll be hooking up with women and the color blue.

I don't see how Ianto's death is any more hobophobic than Jack killing is own grandchild is fear of children.

I know Torchwood tries to be a lot more adult than Doctor Who, and they initially went overboard with sex all over the place season one, but this murder-suicide and child sacrifice angle seems to take it to a really darker place. Not fun, and kind of depressing.

Aside from that it also seemed really long and boring sooooob soooob wah, when they should have been problem-solving.

Forum Links
Forum Rules