Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Synchronizing via IMAP between three devices

Synchronizing via IMAP between three devices
JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2009, 12:43 AM

I've got an iMac, a MacBook Pro, and a smartphone. All three are accessing mail via IMAP. The smartphone and the MacBook Pro see changes and apply them as needed. However, I'll get home at night and the iMac has all the mail that I have read/deleted/etc sitting there unread for me. Before I got the MacBook Pro, I didn't have this problem...the iMac and the smartphone synced up just fine until I added the third computer into the mix. Is there some problem with IMAPing three devices?

larkost
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2009, 02:17 AM

It might be that whatever service you are using has a cap on the number of simultaneous connections, and you are now exceeding that. I have had this problem with Google's IMAP system.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2009, 02:26 AM

Yes, OS X Mail and the iPhone are horrible about how they open up far more connections to the server than they ought to, many email providers do maintain those caps for those clients.

I would suggest trying another client for a while to see if the same thing persists.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2009, 03:58 AM

... or check the simple things first: is Mail on the iMac set to check for new messages on a regular basis or is it set to check manually? If it is the latter, or the delay is a long one (e.g. Every hour) then it could simply be that the iMac hasn't synched the data yet.

JazzCatDRP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by larkost View Post
It might be that whatever service you are using has a cap on the number of simultaneous connections, and you are now exceeding that. I have had this problem with Google's IMAP system.
This sounds like it could be it, as gmail is my email provider. Thanks for all the tips, folks.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2009, 04:25 PM

I sync my laptop, my desktop and my iphone just fine. I have several imap accounts all running through gmail and it works just fine.

I added an old iMac to the mix while testing it and all hell broke loose with too many simultaneous connections errors all over the place.

I guess two macs and a phone is about your maximum when using mail. Entourage may be better as it is a better mannered imap client, it's just soul destroying to actually use.

Forum Links
Forum Rules