Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > migrating from C2D 3.06 to a new MBP i7 (Boot camp etc.)

migrating from C2D 3.06 to a new MBP i7 (Boot camp etc.)
all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2010, 09:45 AM

Hi all,

The Apple Store are kindly swapping my misbehaving 17" 3.06 C2D for a brand new i7 model.

I'm incredibly fussy with how I set my machines up, and am looking for some advice on how to get the new machine in order. I've got a small amount of software on there (all of which can be reinstalled if need be), but the whole Boot Camp/Win 7/VMWare piece has me wondering if there isn't a better way than reinstalling from scratch.

I'll be putting an SSD in the new machine (it's currently in my old one), and I'll have disks galore for data ferrying if need be.

Any tips?

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
May 24, 2010, 06:25 PM

The migration assistant works pretty well, generally that's what I use.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 24, 2010, 08:03 PM

Winclone for Boot Camp.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2010, 10:37 PM

Snow Leopard's Migration Assistant works very well. And it's a great time saver.

For Boot Camp you'll need an additional tool. For example the one posted above.

Get an inexpensive SATA-USB dock (like this one for $25 shipped) and you'll be able to easily attach your old disk to the new MBP. That way your old HDD can act as an extra backup after you migrate to the new MBP with SSD.

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2010, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like a strong endorsement of Migration Assistant. I've got a nice eSATA dock already, so the transfer should be nice and speedy.

Anything in particular to look out for with the migration? Should I get it to do the lot (accounts, settings etc.)? And am I right in thinking that I should run the assistant from a differently-named account than any of the ones I want to transfer over then delete the initial one later?

For the Windows partition - is Windows clever enough to recognise and make use of the improved hardware if I'm just cloning?

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2010, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by all2ofme View Post
TAnything in particular to look out for with the migration? Should I get it to do the lot (accounts, settings etc.)?
Yes. If you're not happy with the result you can always go and back and do it again with a reduced set oif stuff to migrate. Since you have your old HDD in the dock it's available as a snapshot backup. You can always go back and migrate again from there.

And am I right in thinking that I should run the assistant from a differently-named account than any of the ones I want to transfer over then delete the initial one later?
Yes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules