Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 10.1.3 + Ti + External Monitor

10.1.3 + Ti + External Monitor
bacchus
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2002, 02:37 PM

Posted in another thread thought i'd ask here as well.

Ever since I installed 10.1.3 yesterday, my video setup is messed. I've been using an external lcd for a few weeks now as my Ti's primary monitor, meaning i've been using the TI, lid closed, and the external lcd - without problem for weeks.

Install 10.1.3 yesterday and now I can't close the lid of my Ti without machine going to sleep and external monitor not working. Tried restarting and plugging monitor in, I checked the video mirroring prefs ( i'm actually running two seperate monitors with the lid up, not mirrored desktop ).

Anyone have any ideas?

Bacchus
http://www.repair-xp.com
-----------------------------
If you're looking for information on the best windows xp repair tools , check out www.repair-xp.com

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2002, 06:51 PM

you might have to plug in an external keyboard. i thought that it was required before 10.1.3, but just try plugging a USB keyboard in.

I have a feeling this is the problem, but i could also be completely wrong

bacchus  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2002, 06:59 PM

Uh obviously i'm using an external keyboard and mouse, as i've been using the computer with Tibook lid closed for weeks.

Doesn't fix the problem.

bacchus
If you're looking for information on the best windows xp repair tools , check out www.repair-xp.com

Joseph Tate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2002, 01:59 AM

I found this posted to the AppleCare Knowledge Base on Feb 18: "Under Mac OS X 10.1, you can only use a PowerBook computer with the display closed if you have a keyboard with a power button." Search for article #88217.

I have the same problem now with a dual-usb iBook and an Apple Pro Keyboard (which has no powerbutton). Once I upgraded, you can no longer operate the computer with the display closed. Apparently, it's a heat issue. Closing the lid doesn't allow the processor to cool adequately.

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: Joseph Tate ]

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: Joseph Tate ]

bacchus  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2002, 02:27 AM

Nope thats untrue. I've been using a Microsoft keyboard that doesnt have a working power key, and until yesterdays 10.1.3 update, everything worked absolutely fine, lid closed and everything.

There's a growing thread about this on the apple site, others who had it working then lost it with 10.1.3

bacchus

dj_vitamin_zee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2002, 04:56 AM

I'm having the exact same problem, but I'm only running 10.1.2....I hooked my new TiBook up to an external monitor for the first time 2 days ago, but when I try to power up with the lid closed (via macally keyboard *with* power key) it comes up for about 8 seconds while the hard disk spins up, and then it goes right back to sleep. I have to run with the lid open. I was just about to post my own thread on the matter until I saw this one... :-)

Anyway, since I'm running 10.1.2 and having the same problem, I am quite confused.... :-(

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2002, 02:53 PM

sorry for the stupid advice.

i need to learn to think before i speak (type)

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2002, 03:06 PM

FWIW, I've got a Ti400 and it's running just fine hooked to an external monitor with the lid closed. I have a Sun keyboard and mouse hooked up, so no power button there. (Although Diamond-Control-Crescent will reboot the machine...weird.) Is this just a problem with the Rev 2 TiBooks, or do any 400/500s have this problem? Hope you sort it out...

--J

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2002, 06:24 PM

My 500MHz PowerBook has the same problems under 10.1.3 described above. Pretty sure it did it under 10.1.2 as well though.

H * � �
Mar 16, 2002, 09:21 PM

It's 10.1.3 that did it to us.
I could boot with the lid closed in 10.1.2 and it would display to the external monitor, now I have to leave the lid open an inch or two.
Because it is also now using the LCD as part of an extended desktop, my mouse sometimes disappears off the left side of the monitor.
Very annoying.
One of the reasons I bought my Onyx 667 was so that I could dock it closed to use an external monitor, keyboard and mouse.
Does anyone know which settings in which files changed from .2 to .3 to prevent closed lid operation?

christ
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2002, 07:22 AM

TIL 88217 appears to say that the 667 cannot operate without a keyboard with a power button under 10.1

I have a 667 using 10.1.3 and have had exactly this problem. I never tried it before with 10.1.2, so I can't vouch for it breaking as a result of 10.1.3, but apple seems to have given up on providing a workaround. Here's to 10.1.4!

On the other matter, you can turn on display mirroring to stop your cursor wandering off to a screen you are not using, but then you are limited to the resolution of the LCD.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

Duozona
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2002, 03:20 AM

For the life of me, under OS 10.1.3 I cant even get the option of video mirroring...ya it recognizes the external display and all, works fine, but then I have to only look at the external display (in my case a huge projector screen in a classroom, kills my neck staring up) as my screen is just desktop pattern, no icons etc..what the heck??? ive gone into monitor display and see everything except video mirroring.....cant find it under OS 9.2 either for that matter, and I was told that there should be an option in the control strip????

Help Im missing something

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 20, 2002, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by Joseph Tate:
<STRONG>I found this posted to the AppleCare Knowledge Base on Feb 18: "Under Mac OS X 10.1, you can only use a PowerBook computer with the display closed if you have a keyboard with a power button." Search for article #88217.

I have the same problem now with a dual-usb iBook and an Apple Pro Keyboard (which has no powerbutton). Once I upgraded, you can no longer operate the computer with the display closed. Apparently, it's a heat issue. Closing the lid doesn't allow the processor to cool adequately.
</STRONG>
It amazes me how difficult it is to quash that misconception. ONLY THE WALLSTREET PowerBook cools through the keyboard. Lombard, Pismo, and TiBooks do NOT have to be open to cool properly (otherwise they'd make them like the Wallstreet, which won't operate closed). All those models cool via the bottom of the machine and the small fan they have, which kicks in if needed.

tooki

zeltrio
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2002, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
<STRONG>

It amazes me how difficult it is to quash that misconception. ONLY THE WALLSTREET PowerBook cools through the keyboard. Lombard, Pismo, and TiBooks do NOT have to be open to cool properly (otherwise they'd make them like the Wallstreet, which won't operate closed). All those models cool via the bottom of the machine and the small fan they have, which kicks in if needed.

tooki</STRONG>
Are you positive? I believe apple posted a TIL that specifies the dual-usb ibook can not be operated while closed because of heat..
"A mighty maze! but not without a plan."
-Alexander Pope

dchiang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2002, 09:22 AM

Were the 550/667 models able to run with the lid closed under 10.1.2 using a keyboard without a power switch? If I'm buying a keyboard, can I get the standard Apple one, or should I go for one with a power switch to increase my chances of being able to run with the lid closed in the future?

H * � �
Mar 24, 2002, 02:47 PM

dchiang,
You don't need a keyboard with a power button with 10.1.2 and a G3 &lt;except Wall Street&gt; or G4 PB.
Press the power button, then quickly shut the lid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules