Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > mac intel

mac intel
kubilay
Jun 20, 2006, 10:44 AM

i've an imac duo core 2,1GHZ and i'm currently participating in boinc projects such as einstein, rosetta and seti. But, i would like to punch out more out of my machine. When and how am i going to use an optimized version of boinc for macintel. Is there a guide how to install the optimized versions, cause i can't find one here???

Billy
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2006, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by kubilay
i've an imac duo core 2,1GHZ and i'm currently participating in boinc projects such as einstein, rosetta and seti. But, i would like to punch out more out of my machine. When and how am i going to use an optimized version of boinc for macintel. Is there a guide how to install the optimized versions, cause i can't find one here???
The regular versions seem to be quite fast for these projects. I am getting 12,000 Cpusec. and 62 credits for Seti. With Rosetta it is 21,000 Cpusec. and 66 credits. For Einstein it is 5000 Cpusec and 15 credits.

Billy

zombie67
Senior User
Jun 22, 2006, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Billy
The regular versions seem to be quite fast for these projects. I am getting 12,000 Cpusec. and 62 credits for Seti. With Rosetta it is 21,000 Cpusec. and 66 credits. For Einstein it is 5000 Cpusec and 15 credits.

Billy
I get ~11,200 for 62 credits. And this is running always while using it ~14 hours/day. Mine is a 2.16. What speed is yours?

Erik

Billy
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2006, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by zombie67
I get ~11,200 for 62 credits. And this is running always while using it ~14 hours/day. Mine is a 2.16. What speed is yours?

Erik
Mine is 1.83

kubilay
Jun 23, 2006, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Billy

Billy

i wouldn't know how to calculate the cpusec, but if that is the cpu time what you're talking about than ive got 10000 cpusec for 187 credits for rosetta; 23000 cputime for 177 credits for einstein and 12000 for 62

my Floating Point speed 8002.26 million ops/sec
my Measured integer speed 22329.06 million ops/sec

zombie67
Senior User
Jun 23, 2006, 09:34 AM

How did you measure this? When I measure mine with BOINC 5.4.9, I get

1728 fp/cpu
4510 int/cpu

Billy
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2006, 10:34 AM

i wouldn't know how to calculate the cpusec, but if that is the cpu time what you're talking about than ive got 10000 cpusec for 187 credits for rosetta; 23000 cputime for 177 credits for einstein and 12000 for 62

Yes, I am talking about the reported cpu time. I get Floating Point of 1466 and Integer of 3871, so I imagine that you are using a different version of Boinc Manager. Your results are still similar for Seti, but far higher for Rosetta and Einstein. On June 20 your reported cpu time for Rosetta was halved and your claimed credit increased to a point where you were getting 5.5x the credit; from 66 to 178. Similarly, for Einstein your claimed credit is about 5.5x's what mine is, although I haven't run those projects recently. What is your secret?

kubilay
Jun 23, 2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by zombie67
How did you measure this? When I measure mine with BOINC 5.4.9, I get

1728 fp/cpu
4510 int/cpu

i downloaded the 2 BOINC 5.4.9 Beta's here at Team MACNN (boinc_5.4.9ExtraCreditUniversal and boinc_5.4.9SuperbenchUniversal)

then i installed the superbench version by the following procedure

quit boinc manager
you unzip the file
go to your boinc folder/ boinc manager
hold ctrl button and mouse click on the boinc manager
then show package content
go further in the folder contents/ resources and replace the old boinc file with the new one....
keep the old boinc file in an other folder or your desktop.
rename the new client..remove all attached phrases to the file.....just name it boinc....
then start boinc manager
start the benchmark
then run the stufff

you'll seee the same performance !!!!!

Billy
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2006, 01:35 PM

i downloaded the 2 BOINC 5.4.9 Beta's here at Team MACNN (boinc_5.4.9ExtraCreditUniversal and boinc_5.4.9SuperbenchUniversal)

then i installed the superbench version by the following procedure

quit boinc manager
you unzip the file
go to your boinc folder/ boinc manager
hold ctrl button and mouse click on the boinc manager
then show package content
go further in the folder contents/ resources and replace the old boinc file with the new one....
keep the old boinc file in an other folder or your desktop.
rename the new client..remove all attached phrases to the file.....just name it boinc....
then start boinc manager
start the benchmark
then run the stufff

you'll seee the same performance !!!!!
The new Einstein version 5 seems to have eliminated the advantage on that project. Looks like Rosetta may still be giving more credits for the Superbench version.

Forum Links
Forum Rules