Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > just some x observations (and others)

just some x observations (and others)
h00ligan
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2004, 02:32 PM

So the more i delve into linux the more i realize from a desktop side of things.. os x is what linux wants to be.. sure maybe not the gui.. but the more i learn the less sense it makes to me to bother.. there are still tons of windows houses.. and linux well.. it's a PITA.. Don't get me wrong, it can be a very powerful server.. but the whole command line thing is just rediculous.. write a damn gui.

I know there are purists out there who think that is sacrilige.. that you should be able to do everything through command line.. and that's fine.. i CAN work with it.. the point is.. if it had a proper gui it would be faster, easier, less likely to make mistakes.. i really don't know why people clutch with death rgips to the command line..

So sitting here using my os x machine.. setting up samba on my pc, dns , etc.. i just think to myself.. how archaic.

Trying to get a thinkpad r40 working properly running fedora core 2 is a pain too.. and for what.. why bother.. so i can run one of a thousand window managers that don't work as well as either windows or os x?

I guess the point of this is to vent at how rediculous it is that things are crawling along on the linux side.. and licensing isn't a big deal either.. i mean, cmon.. what's the most expensive os x license.. $1000 - that's nothing for a business.

Redhat's pricing has become rediculous.. to the point that we are thinking of moving to Suse.. meanwhile we have an Xserv sitting in teh NOC that doesn't get any use.. at all..eventually it will be used to manage desktop machines.. woohoo

let's get LDAP on that thing..

I think part of this frustration is coming from such a mixed network... but in working through all of the crap and acknowledging that os x does have some headway to make for the desktop... it's still the best solution out now..

stability of unix with the app availability of windows.

Now.. they need to get the game market covered a bit better... and resolve some stupid safari/mail issues.. stop supporting appletalk completely.. and we're set.

All os's have their place I do use windows.. and it's fine.. i use it for games.. occasional server stuff.. and to manage 200 workstations at work..

I use Linux.. mail server, file server, ftp, http, - better for security.. but i fail to see where Redhat can do anything that OS X server can't.. or at the very least if there are things (which i am sure there are) I think they'll be resolved soon.

Sometimes I just wish I could get the rest of the world to stop their preconceived notions,, and take a look at "new" technology. All these shops switching to linux.. to save money.. I wonder if they realize they won't be saving much over windows by the time they buy service agreements..

anyway, end rant.
-= H00ligan =-

1.33 GHz 12" | 60 gig 7200 rpm drive | 1.25 Gigs of ram
amd 64 3000+ eMachines m6805 (arima lappy) | 60 gig | 512 megs | almost 3400 3dMark03 and it was only $1250 :)

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2004, 09:05 AM

A rant of my own - it's ridiculous, not rediculous.

(Why is this such a common mistake?)

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 21, 2004, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
A rant of my own - it's ridiculous, not rediculous.

(Why is this such a common mistake?)
Other such common mistakes are:

'Here here' instead of 'Hear hear'
'Looser' instead of 'Loser'
'Duel' when talking about 'Dual' processor computers
'Kernal' instead of 'Kernel'

Thorzdad
Sep 21, 2004, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
Other such common mistakes are:

'Here here' instead of 'Hear hear'
'Looser' instead of 'Loser'
'Duel' when talking about 'Dual' processor computers
'Kernal' instead of 'Kernel'
And let's not forget the ever-popular 'there' 'their' they're' misappropriation.

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2004, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by h00ligan:
but the whole command line thing is just rediculous.. write a damn gui.

I know there are purists out there who think that is sacrilige.. that you should be able to do everything through command line.. and that's fine.. i CAN work with it.. the point is.. if it had a proper gui it would be faster, easier, less likely to make mistakes.. i really don't know why people clutch with death rgips to the command line..
I've got a few mates at Uni who solely use linux (Mandrake 10) and do everything from the GUI. They're actually rather scared of the CLI and don't touch it. Of course, there is the odd occassion when I go round and help them with something and it's easier for me to just delve into the CLI and do something (either easier, or no GUI hooked up for it). I like it - best of both worlds. However, you're right: OS X is even better.
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2004, 11:15 AM

Not Linux related, but I tried to help a friend set up a PC on a wireless network at the weekend (as I've done it several times with Macs). No joy. I had to give up. In the end I had to admit defeat and just said "sorry, but if you'd bought a Mac you'd have been online and surfing the web in 2 minutes".

Sure, PCs maybe cheaper initially, but I make that back 10 times over in not having my life full of hassle !

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2004, 11:36 AM

I think the simplicity of networking macs is still a major selling point. It' so basic. I can network a 7 year old Mac and a brand new G5 in about thirty seconds if they are on the same network.

It just works.

Forum Links
Forum Rules