Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hardware vs. Software

Hardware vs. Software
surfacto
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2006, 05:20 PM

I have an Intel Mini (1.66/2GB Ram/Superdrive), and I like to use Popcorn for DVD burning, but the superdrive on the mini is extremely slow, ie. it takes 40+ minutes to burn and verify 2 hours of video. I also have a Gateway in which I installed a Pioneer 110 internal DVD burner. This thing flies, only 10 minutes to do the same job. But the software (Nero) sucks. It works fine if I don't want any menus, just video, but the menus are always screwed if I burn with Nero. Popcorn and the Mini correctly handles the menus, but like I said, its soooo sloooow.

So what do you guys think, is this a hardware or software issue? If I took the pioneer burner out of the PC and put it in an external enclosure and burned with Popcorn could I have fast burning that worked or would that be a waste of time and money?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2006, 08:49 PM

Try isolating part of the process. Burn one without verifying, burn some plain data, try the same DVD in each, etc.

edit to add a little more: It's possible you have a DVD9 (~8 GB, dual layer) disc on your mini but are using a DVD5 (~4.4 GB, single layer) burner or media, so Popcorn is compressing the DVD image to fit. Does Popcorn tell you what process it's currently working on?
( Last edited by Uncle Skeleton; Dec 23, 2006 at 07:14 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules