Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Hacker Needed =Lego Star Wars Run On Mac Mini (Intel)

Hacker Needed =Lego Star Wars Run On Mac Mini (Intel)
Richard Clark
Senior User
Jan 19, 2007, 10:13 PM

MacMini
OS 10.4.8
1.83 GHZ Intel Core Duo
1 GB Memory

I hope there is some happy hacker out there that has an answer for me. Last fall I picked up Leg Star Wars from Aspyer at the new Apple Store here in Omaha, NE. Gave it to my son for Christmas.

It works for the beginning part (going around picking up coins). BUT once we move into Episode one and get through the first lego video it crashes.

I opened a ticket with Aspyr and here is the following reply:

Unfortunately this game is unsupported on intel CPU's / video cards that the mini uses so we can't guarantee the game's performance on your systm.

I'm sorry I couldn't help you more.
Bummer

So, does anyone out there have a Mac Min (Intel) and run Lego Star Wars? Any tips, tricks or hacks would be really cool. It would be nice to be able to play it with my son instead of watching it crash.

I also have files of the crash logs if anyone would be interested.

Thanks in advance!
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2007, 10:59 PM

eMacs are cheap. Really cheap.

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
Jan 20, 2007, 11:51 PM

I got thinking today about creating a disk image using Disk Utility. BUT when I try to run the Lego Star Wars program from my hard drive (disk image is open) it asks for the CD/DVD to be put back in the machine. Is there a work around on this creating a disk image. I've never tried messing with images of DVD's before. But my thinking is if I can get one made, I might be able to find a work around to get the program running.... I hope.

Thanks in advance!
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 05:22 PM

I setup my nephews' eMac like that -- use a disk image for Lego Star Wars so they can play it without having to fuss with the CD.

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
Jan 23, 2007, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by ginoledesma View Post
I setup my nephews' eMac like that -- use a disk image for Lego Star Wars so they can play it without having to fuss with the CD.
Which application did you use? What settings were used?

Thanks in advance!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2007, 03:51 PM

A disk image isn't going to help. The Intel Integrated GPU in the Mac Mini is actually missing functions that game needs. You'd need a new graphics card, which isn't possible on the Mini.

(Also I'm assuming it might be running under Rosetta, which also might be a problem.)
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

nikin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2007, 09:47 AM

I have a friend who has an intel imac and her son has had great success plaing the pc version on windows via bootcamp. It's not the most elegant of solutions and a universal binary would be much preferred, but maybe this will be helpful information for you.

from one dad to another...

Kevin

wah1204
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2007, 11:16 PM

I too was unable to run Lego Starwars on my macbook with great dissapointment.

I have just tried to run Lego Star Wars via bootcamp on my macbook 2.0gig core II duo and I got an error message wich says "It requires a graphics card with supports Pixel Shaders v1.1"

Has anybody been able to run Lego Star Wars on a macbook with the GMA 950 chipset?

wah

wah1204
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2007, 11:54 AM

I have managed to run Lego Star Wars via bootcamp on my intel Macbook, this solution isn't the prettiest but it definately works with a Macbook and should work with the mac mini as it has the same graphics chipset as the Macbook. Macs with the GMA 950 chipset will give the error "...It requires a graphics card with supports Pixel Shaders v1.1"

1. Download 3D analyze which is a graphics emulation program that enables pixel shader 3DCenter - Download: 3D-Analyze
2. install and run 3D analyse. When 3 D Analyse is open click select and browse to lego star wars.exe (which should be in the lego star wars directory)
3. Check the options "skip pixel shader version 1.1" and "emulate HW TnL caps"
3. Save a batch file to make it easy to execute the game, then you can just click on the batch file when you want to play the game.

the 3D analyse program does appear to "hang" (stop working) when you click on the batch file and sometimes gives you an error message, you can close the 3D analyse program and lego star wars will run fine.

Like i said not the prettiest solution but it definately works and once you have done all the set up you its not too bad.

hope that helps some people

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2007, 04:18 PM

Leopard may fix this. It includes the ability to emulate features on the fly that are not supported on your GPU.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2007, 02:27 PM

Really? I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere else - can you point to where it says that?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Leopard may fix this. It includes the ability to emulate features on the fly that are not supported on your GPU.
But the real solution is to actually have a GPU.

rossmck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2007, 07:38 AM

Gents,

Sorry no soln just another related problem:::

fyi: I have been running the ASPYR port of LSW for Mac on both a MBP 2.3Ghz and a MB 2.0Ghz. I guess it's a limitation of the MacMini integrated graphics as mentioned.

My problem is more subtle - the game has played for several months with no problem on both intel machines, however just today the MB 2.0Ghz,1GB Ram, will not play the game beyond the Diner sequence, it will play the Diner sequence, the preparatory video prior to a level, then crash just as the level starts?

Have tried LSW re-install, deleting plist, re-setting permissions, different user account. All with no joy.

GlendaAdams
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2007, 05:58 PM

Check out the Universal patch we just released for Lego Star Wars, it's available at MacGameFiles.com. This should allow the game to play much better on Intel macs, and even let the game play reasonably well on the graphics chip in the Mac Mini.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2007, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
But the real solution is to actually have a GPU.
Yeah. Apple needs to shove a real gpu in the Mac Mini, fast. The Macbook too.

Apple really underestimates how important games are. A lot of casual users usually are interested in a game or two.

(Speaking of Aspyr Universal ports, CompUSA had a really good deal on Homeworld 2, but I passed on it because it isn't Universal. Runs ok on my friend's Macbook Pro, but it's certainly not going to run nicely on native res. For now I'll stick to playing it under GameTap.)

rossmck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2007, 04:14 AM

Glenda,

Originally Posted by GlendaAdams View Post
Check out the Universal patch we just released for Lego Star Wars, it's available at MacGameFiles.com. This should allow the game to play much better on Intel macs, and even let the game play reasonably well on the graphics chip in the Mac Mini.
The patch fixed my problem and LSW works a dream on the MB 2.0 now (the integrated card works admirably), and across all user accounts which is a first. Thanks.

Waiting for my [ahem, the kids] LSWII mac preorder now.

rossmck
( Last edited by rossmck; Apr 5, 2007 at 04:14 AM. Reason: typo)

Grateful_Jedi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2008, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by wah1204 View Post
I have managed to run Lego Star Wars via bootcamp on my intel Macbook, this solution isn't the prettiest but it definately works with a Macbook and should work with the mac mini as it has the same graphics chipset as the Macbook. Macs with the GMA 950 chipset will give the error "...It requires a graphics card with supports Pixel Shaders v1.1"

1. Download 3D analyze which is a graphics emulation program that enables pixel shader 3DCenter - Download: 3D-Analyze
2. install and run 3D analyse. When 3 D Analyse is open click select and browse to lego star wars.exe (which should be in the lego star wars directory)
3. Check the options "skip pixel shader version 1.1" and "emulate HW TnL caps"
3. Save a batch file to make it easy to execute the game, then you can just click on the batch file when you want to play the game.

the 3D analyse program does appear to "hang" (stop working) when you click on the batch file and sometimes gives you an error message, you can close the 3D analyse program and lego star wars will run fine.

Like i said not the prettiest solution but it definately works and once you have done all the set up you its not too bad.

hope that helps some people
This solution worked just as advertised! I had had exactly the same problem running Lego Star Wars on my MacBook and this solution made it work. Thank you so much, and may the Force be with you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules