Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New Apple Keyboard - Shortcuts aint working

New Apple Keyboard - Shortcuts aint working
lostjamie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 08:47 AM

Hey there

I received in the post this morning the new apple keyboard, the one that was released on the 7th of August with the new iMacs! I say this because I rang up Apple and the person on the other end didn't even know there were new keyboards (Really apple support has sucked lately, their forums were down for a while this morning)

I need help setting up the new Apple keyboard so the shortcuts work on my iMac, i didn't buy the new iMac but just the keyboard, the imac before the new one, 3rd gen yeah? Is the one i have.

I can't get the brightness increase/decrease, volume up/down, next/previous track and stop/start track buttons to do what they're suppost to do. Still the brightness keys are F14&15 and the sound keys don't work at all F16-F19.

Can anyone help me set this up properly so it works how it is meant to?

I've read the manual and all it says is:

"To install the Apple Keyboard Software:
1. Go to www.apple.com/support/downloads and donwload the Apple Keyboard Software.
2. Double-click the AppleKeyboardSoftware icon.
3. Follow the onscreen instructions."

Nothing in the support/downloads is there keyboard software, i've searched and nothing recently added was shown up. Also my system is up to date.

Can anybody help? I think this is the 4th product from Apple i've purchased recently and it's never 'just worked'/plug and play..

I'm really getting fed up, they should make it more easy to install

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Jamie
Browsing on a 24" iMac with 3GB of RAM and a super duper fast processor and lots of goodies :)

jamiemcf
Aug 10, 2007, 08:52 AM

They supposedly released a fix for it today, according to Macworld anyway!

lostjamie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 09:23 AM

Do you have a link to MacWorld? Then i could follow along, i really would like this fixed, i use my keyboard all the time for controlling my volume and the skipping tracks buttons look like they could be really useful too.

Regards
Browsing on a 24" iMac with 3GB of RAM and a super duper fast processor and lots of goodies :)

pjmurphy
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2007, 10:40 AM

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
www.brandthunder.com
15" MBP
2 nanos (blk, red)
8GB iPhone
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

jamiemcf
Aug 10, 2007, 11:34 AM

That's the one Macworld announced ^^^

lostjamie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 01:58 PM

Link is dead, but it's now available via Software Update on the Apple menu.

Regards

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2007, 02:52 PM

32Mb for keyboard software???!!?!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2007, 01:27 AM

I went to the Apple Store tonight to check out the new iMacs and the new keyboard, and when I tried to use Expose, I hit the icon on the key (F4?) and it displayed all windows. A salesman came over, and I asked him how to trigger the other modes, especially the one that shows the Desktop since that's one I use a lot. Couldn't do it. Couldn't even set the keys to do it in the Expose control panel.

Then I mentioned the update, and he was familiar with it, downloaded it, and now, he could assign keys via the control panel. Seems like a weird thing to overlook, especially given how much press Apple got for Expose.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Aug 11, 2007, 12:45 PM

My keyboard was just delivered! Looks very nice!

edit: Just installed the new software and only some of the F keyboard shortcuts work. Volume, Eject, Brightness work. The rest of them: Expose, Dashboard, and the iTunes controller keys don't work.
( Last edited by MOTHERWELL; Aug 11, 2007 at 01:17 PM. )

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2007, 01:15 PM

So it "just works"...as long as you have a valid internet connection?

Does the keyboard not work at all without downloading Apple's 32MB software package?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

PaperNotes
Aug 11, 2007, 01:32 PM

It's crap how Apple have set these new functions. It was perfect when F8 for spaces, F9 to F11 for Exposé, and F12 for Dashboard. The new keyboard has made it a mess and all in the name of some Windows PC like media keys. And then get rid of the  logo just to make Switchers happy.

Question now is do both new keyboards work fine in Windows?

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2007, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by MOTHERWELL View Post
My keyboard was just delivered! Looks very nice!

edit: Just installed the new software and only some of the F keyboard shortcuts work. Volume, Eject, Brightness work. The rest of them: Expose, Dashboard, and the iTunes controller keys don't work.
Did you try and set the Expose keys in the Expose control panel? I know it's a pain, but it works.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Aug 11, 2007, 04:11 PM

Yes I did and they don't do anything

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2007, 10:05 PM

Did you try using the FN key? I also saw this on MacInTouch.com:

"Stephen Giles
Re:
"...it's been more than 2 years since Apple released the keyboard featuring the utterly useless F16 key. No application - even Apple's System Preferences - would allow you to use the key for anything."
You happen to be in luck. Download the macro utility Spark (free) and map the F16 key to any shortcut you want. The Spark daemon uses less than 10 MB of RAM.
The latest version of Keyboard Maestro (2.1) also supports F16."

Maybe that would help. I know it's silly to have to go through this just to use the keyboard.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 12, 2007, 07:52 AM

The PC-ifying of Apple keyboards.
ice

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2007, 12:29 PM

Caps lock indicator?? Is it on-screen now or something? There is no light that I can see on the keyboard.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Aug 12, 2007, 01:35 PM

There's a caps lock light on the keyboard.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 02:57 PM

Just set up and installed the keyboard (Software Update, 16Mb download), and I'm having the F key problems. I've set the keys in the Keyboard control panel so to get Expose/Dashboard re set to the new layout (it was still using the old F9-F12 layout. Now with the 'Use all F1, F2...' checkbox ticked in the Keyboard pref panel, I have Dashboard/Expose working, but the volume keys not working unless I press the fn button with F10-F12. If I uncheck the tickbox, this is reversed, so that Dashboard/Expose needs the fn key pressed but the volume keys work. I have also mapped F5 and F6 to Expose current app and Expose desktop, these work whether the tickbox is checked or not. I have downloaded the 32Mb file from the Apple site and installed that too, and nothing has changed. I have a Macbook 2.16 white, hooked up as a desktop, lid closed.

Is this what other people with the problem get? I'm hoping its a case of waiting for Keyboard Update 1.2, because this seems to be a widespread problem on different forums.

On the up side, the keyboard is really nice to type on .

ooninay
Aug 15, 2007, 09:48 PM

Yes, I'm having the exact same problem even after installing the Keyboard software & firmware update. Duh... pretty sloppy I must say.

Having bitched about that, I will add that everything else about my new iMac (including the keyboard) is perfect!!

shinji
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2007, 11:16 PM

Weird, it works fine for me...I installed the update via software update, restarted, left all the settings as defaults, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Originally Posted by shifuimam
Does the keyboard not work at all without downloading Apple's 32MB software package?
It does work without that, just not the new function keys (ie f11 is now the key to lower volume...unless you hit the fn key, then it does the normal window moving effect).

ooninay
Aug 15, 2007, 11:27 PM

That is weird... I wonder if I inadvertently wiped something when I reformatted the hard drive... but I installed the keyboard update after that so I would have thought it would have worked. Oh well, maybe someone will find the solution. In the meantime I'm happy just playing Age of Empires 3 at 1920x1200 with all the graphics up to full. No lag at all despite all the kvetching about the graphics card.

xsphat
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2007, 06:21 AM

Wow, I was thinking about the wireless model but now I don't know anymore. I think I'll just get the Happy Hacking Pro after all.

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2007, 11:17 AM

For Your Info:

New USB Keyboard (Released Aug 2007): MB110LL/A
Old USB Pro Keyboard (Released ??): M9034LL/A

New Bluetooth Keyboard (Released Aug 2007): MB167LL/A
Old Bluetooth Keyboard (Released ??): M9270LL/A

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2007, 08:19 PM

I'm having the same problem as everybody else. F3 and F4 are dead unless I hold down the "fn" key. This is regardless of the settings in the Dashboard/Expose and keyboard prefs. I even called Apple to find out what the deal is. Tech support sounded confused and said it was "probably designed that way". Pretty lame if you ask me. Can I please program my own keyboard please? Thanks.
( Last edited by Technicolor; Aug 16, 2007 at 08:27 PM. )

yikes600
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2007, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Technicolor View Post
I'm having the same problem as everybody else. F3 and F4 are dead unless I hold down the "fn" key. This is regardless of the settings in the Dashboard/Expose and keyboard prefs. I even called Apple to find out what the deal is. Tech support sounded confused and said it was "probably designed that way". Pretty lame if you ask me. Can I please program my own keyboard please? Thanks.
I've got the new keyboard, and my F3/F4/etc work without the "fn" key. I'm using the 1.1 update... are you? I didn't try it without.

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2007, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by yikes600 View Post
I've got the new keyboard, and my F3/F4/etc work without the "fn" key. I'm using the 1.1 update... are you? I didn't try it without.
I am. I downloaded it once through Software Update, but tried again with the standalone installer. No dice.

I've also noticed that if you check the "Use F1, F2 etc. keys as standard..." checkbox in the keyboard prefs. The F3 and F4 keys function without the "fn" key. Unfortunately, that disables all of the other shortcuts on the F keys.

It's weird that some of them work, and some don't.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Aug 16, 2007, 08:55 PM

It's pretty obvious that the software doesn't work at all. We are gonna have to wait for an update that actually works.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2007, 09:29 AM

Has anyone experiences about how this new function key mixup works with professional apps like Photoshop or BBedit that still follow Apple’s recommendations from before OS X and use F1 as an easy to use Undo key?

-

lostjamie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2007, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Moonray View Post
Has anyone experiences about how this new function key mixup works with professional apps like Photoshop or BBedit that still follow Apple’s recommendations from before OS X and use F1 as an easy to use Undo key?

-
Moonray

You have to press the 'fn' key to operate some of the F keys not, they've obviously done this because it'll clash with external apps.

Hope this helps.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by lostjamie View Post
Moonray

You have to press the 'fn' key to operate some of the F keys not, they've obviously done this because it'll clash with external apps.

Hope this helps.
Thank you. Now if it is that I have to consistently press “fn” for any of OS X’ special functions (hardware control like volume, brightness, etc, and software functions like Exposé) and otherwise the keys are free for application use I’ll like it. Apple stole so far f9, f10, f11, f12, f14, and f15 from my keyboard.

-

yikes600
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2007, 09:48 PM

Thank you. Now if it is that I have to consistently press “fn” for any of OS X’ special functions (hardware control like volume, brightness, etc, and software functions like Exposé) and otherwise the keys are free for application use I’ll like it. Apple stole so far f9, f10, f11, f12, f14, and f15 from my keyboard.
In System Prefs, it lets you choose whether you want them to operate as standard function keys (with "fn" needed to use the special features like Dashboard, Expose), or to have the special features directly as the key-press action (this is the default setting).

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by yikes600 View Post
In System Prefs, it lets you choose whether you want them to operate as standard function keys (with "fn" needed to use the special features like Dashboard, Expose), or to have the special features directly as the key-press action (this is the default setting).
For each key or function group separately? that would be nice. However it’ll take some time here before I get a new keyboard.

-

yikes600
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2007, 03:34 AM

For each key or function group separately? that would be nice. However it’ll take some time here before I get a new keyboard.
For F-keys without a special function (without specials symbols printed on them), "fn" is never required, regardless of the settings. For the F-keys with special functions, it's up to you whether you want them to require the "fn" modifier or not. They can't be configured individually.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2007, 04:40 PM

Thank you. Sounds like at least some choice.

-

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2007, 08:44 PM

Its pretty clear that Apple Keyboard Update 1.2 (or 1.1.1) will be needed to rectify the problem. The 'net is rife with non-functional Exposé and Dashboard key reports, while all the other functions (brightness, volume, iTunes controls and eject) work fine.

I actually bought one of the new keyboards myself, and I like it very much. But, like others, my Exposé and Dashboard function keys do not work, despite installing (and reinstalling) the software.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2007, 10:03 PM

Fixed

Working hint on how to fix the Exposé and Dashboard keys posted at xlr8yourmac.com:
(slightly modified below; this is the procedure I used to get mine to work)

Using Pacifist:

1. Download the 10.4.10 combo update package and open with pacifist and navigate to the dock.app again. Click Install, and when it asks, make sure to click Update, not Replace.

2. When that's finished, open the keyboard software 1.1 mpackage, click the arrow to reveal the contents of AppleKeyboardSoftware_Cmn.pkg, navigate to dock.app one more time, click install and then update once again. Not replace.

3. Once this procedure is finished, you can force quick Dock.app (via Terminal or Activity Monitor) and when the Dock automatically re-launches, the keys should work.

Parky
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2007, 10:18 AM

I found an easier fix....

Just install the Keyboard Software Update using Pacifist.

It seems the Apple installer does not do the job properly, but if you install all the components using Pacifist and restart your Mac, all is well.

I now have access to F3 and F4 keys as well as all the others.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2007, 11:40 AM

Done the above now and fixed my keyboard, reinstalled the dock app with pacifist, then installed the keyboard update with pacifist, as directed. Dashboard, Expose volume and eject all work without the fn button, just as it should be.
( Last edited by ajprice; Aug 24, 2007 at 03:00 PM. )

mkerr64
Senior User
Aug 27, 2007, 09:12 AM

what the short cut key to use the volume settings, pause and etc,,,?
ive got this keyboard on my mac pro and im having the exact same problem.
im installing applekeyboardsoftware 1.1 again.... hopefully it will work
R.I.P Steve Jobs

mkerr64
Senior User
Aug 27, 2007, 09:29 AM

after installing 1.1 they shortcuts are not working?????????
R.I.P Steve Jobs

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2007, 10:20 AM

You have to install it with Pacifist

stevedev
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2007, 12:13 PM

I just received the new wired version for my macpro laptop. What I've discovered is.. for the set of feature keys that don't appear to be working.. use the FN key with in combo. That worked for me.

For example, in sys prefs I have "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" checked. Then I manually changed the shortcuts for contrast, expose, and dash to match the new key function numbers. To get the rest of the feature keys to work (pause/play, rewind etc), I have to use FN in combo. Unfortunately this route forces you to decide which set of feature keys you want to use FN with. (based on how you have function key option checked in prefs).

I decided not to use pacifist, and deal with having to use FN key in combo for some of the feature keys until apple releases a new update.

mkerr64
Senior User
Aug 27, 2007, 10:48 PM

how do you use this Pacifist program?
R.I.P Steve Jobs

mkerr64
Senior User
Aug 28, 2007, 02:24 PM

never mind .... i got it
R.I.P Steve Jobs

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2007, 05:18 PM

Just had Keyboard Update 1.2 pop up on my Software Update - has anyone installed this yet, on top of the Pacifist fix?
After all the aggro of getting the keyboard functions to work in the first place, I just want to see if this update will do anything, nothing, or bad stuff, lol.

ph0ust
Senior User
Sep 11, 2007, 06:09 PM

my keyboard has always worked since i brought home my new imac, however, it drives me nuts that they got rid of the desktop keyboard shortcut (F11), given that was what i used more than any other shortcut. why apple? why?

now i have to revert back to command-h until everything is closed?!?! or set a custom shortcut that doesn't exist on other computers... lame!

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2007, 06:45 PM

I got so annoyed with the keyboard on my new iMac that I pulled an old black keyboard out the closet... Nasty. But Expose works again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules