Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > More Bush Climate Change shenanigans

More Bush Climate Change shenanigans
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2008, 04:40 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/25/wa...=1&oref=slogin

"The White House in December refused to accept the Environmental Protection Agency’s conclusion that greenhouse gases are pollutants that must be controlled, telling agency officials that an e-mail message containing the document would not be opened, senior E.P.A. officials said last week."

Note that not even Bush now disputes that climate change is happening, or that human activity is contributing to it. This is just cynical politicking to pander to big carbon and other profiteers who fund the Republican Party.

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2008, 04:45 PM

...And everyone knows this.

Refusing to open emails that they disagree with? This administration is both childish and criminal, and should really be impeached. But it isn't going to happen, nobody is going to go to jail.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2008, 04:50 PM

Except maybe Martha Stewart.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2008, 05:02 PM

i know big oil/big business has bushie in their pockets

but is this refusal to accept climate change based in religion?

meaning nature is evil (fall of eden) and is suppose to be bad for us. and with a wink, jesus is coming soon anyways so why change our ways?

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
At least on paper the Bush administration has now accepted the science, which almost makes it worse. At least you could claim that it was ignorance before, now it's just malice.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2008, 09:15 PM

yeah peep... it's sad to think bush is accepting this just so history can't paint him as anti environment president just because of this at the 11th hour.

further, I assume the ideas of protecting the environment, global warming, climate change, etc... is thought of as a liberal, tree hugging, earth day idea and that's a BIG reason not to acknowledge this crisis... dogma

if global warming were a religion, the conservatives would knock it down cause you could never prove it

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2008, 03:39 AM

i know big oil/big business has bushie in their pockets

meaning nature is evil (fall of eden) and is suppose to be bad for us. and with a wink, jesus is coming soon anyways so why change our ways?
Aactually it's a sin to destroy the environment... so no. Republicanism is about tricking people into fighting for their right to be piss drinking slaves to big business....not that the dems are much better.

by the way,
God loves you ironknee and wants nothing but the best for you

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2008, 03:49 AM

it's sad to think bush is accepting this just so history can't paint him as anti environment president.
History will paint him as being 'anti environment president'.

He is accepting it because it's impossible to find anyone who will deny it with a straight face who is not taking a pay-check from Exxon.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2008, 06:37 AM

History will show that Bush ignored knee-jerk speculative science and did his best to do what was right despite overwhelming pressure from a very popular environmental religious cult.

It's crazy to see people who complain that we should not drill for oil because it is speculated that it might help a teeny-tiny bit twenty years ago, but demand we take actions that will have the same general effect environmentally (if even that) which would have devastating economic effects.

Don't blame Bush and others for not drinking your Kool Aid.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2008, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
History will show that Bush ignored knee-jerk speculative science and did his best to do what was right despite overwhelming pressure from a very popular environmental religious cult.

It's crazy to see people who complain that we should not drill for oil because it is speculated that it might help a teeny-tiny bit twenty years ago, but demand we take actions that will have the same general effect environmentally (if even that) which would have devastating economic effects.

but...but... now he has accepted the science...

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2008, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
Aactually it's a sin to destroy the environment... so no. Republicanism is about tricking people into fighting for their right to be piss drinking slaves to big business....not that the dems are much better.

by the way,
God loves you ironknee and wants nothing but the best for you
awww... how sweet

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2008, 01:31 PM

"Devastating economic effects"? Why do I get the feeling that you are a big oil company investor? So far history is showing us that the devastating economic effects will come from ignoring the science. If the government had acted sooner, then American car companies would be doing a lot better today. Instead, American manufacturing jobs keep on leaving, going to countries that have invested in modern clean technology. This trend isn't going to stop.

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2008, 01:57 PM

But we could prop up US Corporate Welfare for a few more years, couldn't we?

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2008, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
"Devastating economic effects"? Why do I get the feeling that you are a big oil company investor?
Because you have to in order to assure yourself that you are right? I hold ZERO investments in any kind of energy investments and don't work for any energy concerns. I'm simply a survivor of the New Ice Age we were all told was certain about 30 years or so ago.

So far history is showing us that the devastating economic effects will come from ignoring the science. If the government had acted sooner, then American car companies would be doing a lot better today. Instead, American manufacturing jobs keep on leaving, going to countries that have invested in modern clean technology. This trend isn't going to stop.
Manufacturing jobs leave because of unions and lower labor costs overseas. You're right, the trend isn't likely to stop, but not for the illogical reasons you suggest.

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2008, 05:50 PM

How is it illogical to state that manufacturing jobs leave the country when American manufacturing companies do poorly? (Okay, I know that foreign auto companies make some of their cars here in the US, so perhaps the statement needs some footnotes. But broadly speaking, I certainly wouldn't call it an illogical statement.)

Neither of us knows for sure. But again, the costs of climate change are projected to be "devastating" (in the sense that they could reduce standards of living rather dramatically). It is possible that climate change is now inevitable, since we've waited too long already to do anything. Then incurring dramatic costs today in order to give our children a more livable planet won't even work very well. My own feeling, though, is that we shouldn't give up; if we don't look at our problems positively, then we'd never solve any of them. And that even if some changes are inevitable, I think we can head off some of it, and that's the right thing to do.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2008, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
How is it illogical to state that manufacturing jobs leave the country when American manufacturing companies do poorly? (Okay, I know that foreign auto companies make some of their cars here in the US, so perhaps the statement needs some footnotes. But broadly speaking, I certainly wouldn't call it an illogical statement.)
It's illogical to suggest it's because they are "going to countries that have invested in modern clean technology". "Modern clean technology" has nothing to do with it. It's all about cheap labor.

Neither of us knows for sure. But again, the costs of climate change are projected to be "devastating" (in the sense that they could reduce standards of living rather dramatically).
I know. With the new coming ice age that was scientifically assured not long ago, we'll all have to start wearing heavy sweaters and maybe live in igloos

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2008, 08:00 PM

It's illogical to suggest it's because they are "going to countries that have invested in modern clean technology". "Modern clean technology" has nothing to do with it. It's all about cheap labor.
Yes, modern technology does have something to do with it. Look at American auto makers, shuttering plants because they are producing vehicles that nobody wants to buy. When American auto makers do poorly, the US loses manufacturing jobs. It works similarly with other manufacturing sectors. Cheap labor is a major factor, but it is certainly not "all about cheap labor."

I know. With the new coming ice age that was scientifically assured not long ago, we'll all have to start wearing heavy sweaters and maybe live in igloos
I think you must know that that coming ice age never had significant scientific support, even though it did have a few splashy magazine articles. But I remember from the oil thread that you have a problem evaluating sources, so maybe not.

Forum Links
Forum Rules