Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > :Participate in WDS or Create Network

:Participate in WDS or Create Network
hab
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2010, 03:18 AM

I am confused about Airport Utility settings for my home network. I have a TimeCapsule that is wired between my DSL Modem and my main iMac, and I have 2 airport Express' that I use to play AirTunes and extend the wireless network to the other macs in my house. My question is whether, in Airport Utility, the wireless mode for the Time Capsule should be set to "Participate in a WDS Network" or "Create a Wireless Network"? Since there are other wireless devices, I could understand that the setting may be participate but since the TimeCapsule is the main device, perhaps the appropriate setting should be create the network that the AEs merely extend. I have looked in the manuals and MacWorld articles and have not been able to find advice about this setting. On my main iMac, I am running Airport Utility 5.5.2 and my TC and AEs all have the latest firmware. Many thanks for any advice on this setup problem.
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

scottajronan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2011, 07:53 PM

I have two AEs one connected directly to my Cable modem and acting as the main router however in the Airport Utility both say they are participating in a WDS network.

Forum Links
Forum Rules