Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 2 x 2.7GHz vs. 4 x 2.0 GHz performance

2 x 2.7GHz vs. 4 x 2.0 GHz performance
jszrules
Senior User
May 17, 2011, 11:05 PM

Hi, with all other specs being equal (memory, HD space, rpm), will I notice much of a difference in performance between 2 x 2.7 GHz processors and 4 x 2.0 GHz processors? I'm leaning towards the 13'' MBP for portability, but want to ask if there is a noticeable boost. If so, I'll go with the 15''. Thanks.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 17, 2011, 11:27 PM

Geekbench gives the 2.7 a total score of 6796 and the 2.0 a total score of 8794.

I personally think that is significant, but it also depends what exactly you do with it. Surfing the web and sending emails is going to be the same on either machine.

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
May 17, 2011, 11:40 PM

I guess the most intensive activities would be a little video editing and some Photoshop. I'd also like it to last more than 3-4 years without becoming slow. Would the 2x2.7 satisfy these requirements?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 17, 2011, 11:47 PM

I think you'll be happy with either machine. The biggest difference is the lack of a dedicated GPU in the 13", which you may notice when editing video and gaming.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 22, 2011, 10:54 PM

The 2.7 has Hyper threading, and so far I haven't been able to max out mine with anything more than a video transcode which can happen to an hour long episode in just a few minutes.

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
May 23, 2011, 05:35 AM

Does that mean it does max out with a video transcode? or you haven't seen it max out, even during one?

Forum Links
Forum Rules