Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Trying to write Linux image to USB stick. Failing.

Trying to write Linux image to USB stick. Failing.
ajprice
Professional Poster
May 23, 2010, 10:44 AM

I've recently picked up a little thing called an O2 Joggler, its a rebranded OpenPeak OpenFrame. Its basically a digital photo frame running an Atom processor, with a touch screen, USB port, Ethernet and Wifi, and 1GB flash memory inside. For £50, a bargain. There are many sites involved with hacking the Joggler to get the OpenPeak apps installed, using Telnet access, which I've done through OS X Terminal. Next on the things to try was a Linux install, going by the info here - StephenFord.org - Joggler Ubuntu Netbook Remix Edition Image . There's an image of Ubuntu Netbook Remix, and info on what to do, the very short OS X instructions are -

In linux or OSX do:
Code:
wget http://www.stephenford.org/joggler/files/v1.3/joggler_unr_9.10_v1.3a.bin.tar.gz wget http://www.stephenford.org/joggler/files/v1.3/joggler_unr_9.10_v1.3a.bin.tar.gz.md5sum dd if=joggler_unr_9.10_v1.3a.bin of=<your_own_device> bs=10M count=365
I did this and got

Code:
-bash: wget command not found
Great.

I tried the equivalent of the Windows instructions, downloading the .bin image, renaming it as a .img, and using Disk Utility 'Restore' window to write the image to the USB. It said:

Restore Failure
Could not validate source - corrupt image
So now I'm stuck, the wget command doesn't work in Terminal and Disk Utility won't write the downloaded image to USB. Any ideas on this? Thanks in advance.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
May 23, 2010, 11:03 AM

I don't do much command line stuff, but a quick search suggests that OS X doesn't have wget. However, this was posted on some blog and it might be useful for you.

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
May 23, 2010, 11:32 AM

Thanks, wget is working now. File downloading.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2010, 02:42 PM

wget can also be compiled and installed via Macports.

You might want to check out UNetBootin. It helps make Linux-based distros USB bootable. Some may require more than a DD.

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
May 24, 2010, 04:00 AM

It worked lastnight, eventually. Once the wget had downloaded the file the dd wouldn't work until the file was expanded to the .bin from the .bin.tar.gz, the bs=10M was changed to bs=10m, and the if= command wouldn't see the bin file until I had put the directory to where it was on the computer ( /username/file.bin instead of just file.bin ), then I had to unmount the USB in the Terminal because the USB said 'Resource busy', the dd command then worked. After a long while (an iPhone Angry Birds session and 2 episodes of Family Guy), the USB stick stopped flashing and the process completed. Unmounted USB and plugged it into the Joggler, it initially started the O2 boot screen, then kicked into Ubuntu. Happy days .
( Last edited by ajprice; May 24, 2010 at 04:13 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules