Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > GAH!!!! Just Lost All My Contact Groups!!

GAH!!!! Just Lost All My Contact Groups!!
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2013, 03:36 PM

So for a while now, icloud has shown up in my address book app twice. Recently, it started showing up three times. Three iCloud accounts, all with the same cards and groups in them. Today, I decided to fix it. I went into iCloud System Pref and turned off contacts. Immediately it jumped back down to two accounts. It looked like those two were local copies that some how got duplicated locally, so I started deleting.

They weren't local copies. They were real iCloud accounts. The checkbox next to contacts, in the iCloud system pref pane, has re-checked itself. I unchecked it again, and i was down to one icloud account, and again the box re-checked itself. I unchecked it again, and there were no more icloud accounts, and the box stayed un-checked this time.

I am so pissed off. I didn't lose any contacts but I lost all of my groups. It is essentially impossible for me to recreate these groups. I have time machine backups, but can I restore groups on an icloud accounts, from my local time machine? My guess is probably not?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2013, 04:15 PM

You should be able to restore the appropriate pref and support files in your home directory from Time Machine.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2013, 04:17 PM

But won't it then just overwrite that data with data from the cloud?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2013, 04:21 PM

I dunno. Make a backup via File --> Export just in case.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2013, 12:06 AM

Time Machine didn't work. It did for a second, but after a few seconds, it synced with the cloud and the groups went away. It's unfortunate that there is apparently no way to make your own backup of your address book data.

Forum Links
Forum Rules