Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > application launched indicators missing & open apps not showing when i cmd-tab

application launched indicators missing & open apps not showing when i cmd-tab
zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2008, 10:54 PM

has anyone else seen their dock not show the open application indicator (sorry, i'm not sure the official name for the blue dot in leopard or the black triangle in tiger) for an open application? which also seems to cause the app not to show in the cmb-tab window switch shortcut (which makes sense if the OS doesn't think the application is open). Right now Safari is being used to type my post, but it isn't open according to my dock or the application-switcher-key.

could this be a simple thing that i just need to give in and do a reboot? or could it be a symptom of something else wrong? i'm running 10.5.5 on a macbook.

thanks!
nick
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2008, 11:35 PM

Nope, never seen it. Try the Combo updater, and if that doesn't help do an Archive and Install reinstall.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2008, 06:26 AM

You don't need to reboot, you just need to quit and re-launch the Dock (use Activity Monitor in the utilities folder to do so).

The Dock process actually controls quite a bit more than just the Dock - e.g. it is also responsible for command-Tab switcher and Dashboard, so it is possible that a crash in a Widget might have implications for the Dock.

zanyterp  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2008, 10:34 PM

Thanks, JKT! That worked marvelously.
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

timmmer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2008, 07:36 PM

I was having the same problem with the indicator for running programs not lighting up, plus command-Tab not switching between applications, plus the Expose function keys not reponding. Plus, logging out or shutting down was a nightmare (had to use the power switch on the computer to restart).

Using the Activity Monitor to quit the Dock process worked, but the dock did not automatically relaunch. Instead, the dock simply did not appear, Spaces was disabled, and restarting required using the power switch on the computer. Once I did restart *after* using Activity Monitor to quit the Dock process, however, everything is now working beautifully! (Before this fix, restarting the computer had had no effect.)

So, this is a wonderful fix! Just don't expect the Dock to automatically relaunch after you quit it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules