Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Noisy headphone jack on 15" PB (1.5GHz)

Noisy headphone jack on 15" PB (1.5GHz)
all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2004, 02:53 PM

I've got a noisy headphone jack on my new(ish) PB and wondered if this was a common problem. I'd rather not send it in to Apple, frankly (I don't want a replacement machine since it'd have a nasty British k/b), but if it's something that definitely isn't normal then I probably will.

It sounds as if the slight glitchy sound is something to do with hard disk access, though it happens when I have an iPod plugged into it, too. I'm not sure I'd notice it over speakers, but on headphones it's quite obvious.

Anyone else have this?

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2004, 10:17 AM

Hello.

I also have a 1.5GHz PB. I've noticed a noise from my headphone jack as well, however it doesn't sound like a system noise.

The noise that you describe does sound familiar with another issue that I experienced with GarageBand. (However, I remember having that problem with my old iBook and a Griffin iMic). Haven't had this issue since getting the powerbook.

Open the Audio MIDI Setup program in your Utilities folder and check the following:

Audio Input:
Format: 44100.0Hz
2ch - 16bit

Audio Output:
Same Settings as Input

The settings should stay the same when using the internal speakers and when using headphones.
I gotta have more cowbell.

Forum Links
Forum Rules