Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > New iPod headphones?

New iPod headphones?
iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2005, 02:26 PM

OK, we all know that the stock headphones for the iPod are as basic as your $3 headphones you could find just about anywhere. Yeah the white is cool 'n all but I'll stick with my Sony fontopias any day of the week. I used the iPod headphones that came with my first 3rd gen iPod and hated it. I never used my second 3rd gen headphones and purchased the Sony headphones instead. As for my third iPod, the shuffle, I noticed that Apple has new headphones included. I know this because I don't have the little slider on the older phones that are still in the pack. I tried them on and noticed that they don't sound too shabby, has Apple introduced a new better headphone?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2005, 02:41 PM

Apple's headphones have never been as terrible as they're made out to be. Finicky people just seem to like complaining (they've never been $3-comparable). They might be uncomfortable to some ears, but they fit mine divinely.

As far as better sound goes, the iPod Shuffle's accompaniment does sound a great deal better than my 15 GB from generation 3; but, then again, the former 'phones never sounded terrible.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2005, 02:44 PM

I still prefer my Sonys but the iPod ones with the ear caps (Griffin, I think) help considerably.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ncsurfer
Mar 20, 2005, 04:05 AM

The apple headphones sound great, they are just uncomfortable. I have tried sony, phillips, and the upgraded apple in-ear headphones and none of them compare to my Shure E2c's. They are worth every pennny!!!
15" 1.5Ghz Aluminum Powerbook
30gb iPod Photo

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2005, 06:51 AM

I can't stand the standard iPod headphones. Have never fit my ears properly. They fall out in under a minute, regardless of what I do. Got a pair of Etymotic Research ER6s instead and am very happy with them. A lot more expensive, though.

If they've replaced the old headphones then they might be better, though.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2005, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
As far as better sound goes, the iPod Shuffle's accompaniment does sound a great deal better than my 15 GB from generation 3; but, then again, the former 'phones never sounded terrible.
Interesting. I've been using my 1st gen. headphones on my shuffle, and I've found the shuffle sounding a little anemic, especially in the bass department. I'll pop in the fresh headphones and see what I get

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2005, 12:05 PM

I personally use the Apple In-ear Buds myself, but judging from how I see people using the stock earphones, I'm not surprised at how many complaints there are... after all, I can't tell you how many times I've seen people with them in their ears backwards, hanging out of their ears halfway tilted out, or barely sitting in the ear letting in outside noise...

Originally posted by Stradlater:
Apple's headphones have never been as terrible as they're made out to be. Finicky people just seem to like complaining (they've never been $3-comparable). They might be uncomfortable to some ears, but they fit mine divinely.

Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 20, 2005, 12:22 PM

I love the iPod buds. I have small ears though. So that might be the case.

I also can only hear out of my left ear.

I have a stereo to mono adapter. Sucks but I have lived with it my whole life.

And I have a bunch of $3 headphones, the ones that come with the iPod are much better than that.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2005, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
OK, we all know that the stock headphones for the iPod are as basic as your $3 headphones you could find just about anywhere.
I sold my unopened iPod headphones for $20

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2005, 04:08 PM

Stop quoting me on my exagerated $3 comment, and actually try to answer my question on whether the new headphones are indeed better or not. Also we all know that Apple stuff sells for tons more than it's generic equivalent so it's no surprise that a sparkling pair of white iPod headphones would go for so much. Just wanted to know if the new headphones are better than the older headphones (old being sans slider).
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

markb8705
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2005, 01:36 AM

i use the stock headphones, they are fine with me

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 01:45 AM

Shure E3s rock!

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2005, 09:36 PM

I stick by what I said last time I saw some ask. I have a newer 'pod now but still use B&O headphones, which are also newer pair

What? I haven't posted for a while...

-mrwalker

Forum Links
Forum Rules