Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Import iPhone or wait for November 9th?

Import iPhone or wait for November 9th?
VividWire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2007, 07:32 AM

Ok, now that I know I need to wait until November 9th before I can get an iPhone here in the UK I am not too sure what I should do... wait for the UK iphone and then buy from ebay and put in my O2 sim or import from US, unlock and use my O2 sim?

If I import from the US and unlock will I still be able to upgrade the firmware if new versions are released? and will I loose any features?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2007, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by VividWire View Post
Ok, now that I know I need to wait until November 9th before I can get an iPhone here in the UK I am not too sure what I should do... wait for the UK iphone and then buy from ebay and put in my O2 sim or import from US, unlock and use my O2 sim?

If I import from the US and unlock will I still be able to upgrade the firmware if new versions are released? and will I loose any features?
A cautious unlocked US iPhone owner never upgrades the firmware. It may upgrade it to a point of becoming an ATT phone forever.
Why don't you have the option of buying the UK iPhone in the UK Apple Store?

VividWire  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2007, 07:44 AM

I have only just taken up a new contract with O2, buying directly from the store would mean having to open a new contract

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2007, 07:52 AM

If all UK buyers need to open a new contract, nobody is going to sell UK iPhones in eBay. Unless you know something I don't.

VividWire  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2007, 08:01 AM

I assumed thats how they worked in the US?
Can you buy an AT&T phone without the contract then?

If I can just buy the phone without having to get a new contract I think I will wait around till november.

Dwood30
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2007, 08:09 AM

No you cannot. I specifically asked when i walked into at&t if i could buy the phone outright but found out you must sign a two year contract in order to get the iphone. Infact even if you already have a brand new two year contract they are willing to upgrade you to "FOUR" years exclusively for the iphone.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2007, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dwood30 View Post
No you cannot. I specifically asked when i walked into at&t if i could buy the phone outright but found out you must sign a two year contract in order to get the iphone. Infact even if you already have a brand new two year contract they are willing to upgrade you to "FOUR" years exclusively for the iphone.
However, if you buy in the Apple store, you can get a US iPhone sans contract.

jebjeb
Senior User
Sep 18, 2007, 08:27 AM

So this means that one could walk into a US Apple store, buy an iPhone for US$399, use one of the many unlocking tools available at the moment and then insert any UK carriers SIM card. After reading a little about the unlocking software, it seems that at one point, the AT&T sim has to be inserted. What if one doesn't have one?

I am out of contract here in the UK and actually quite like O2. The thing is, I never enter contracts longer than the warranty on the phone. I imagine the iPhone has a 12 month warranty. If it was to break after 12 months, I will still be locked into the contract but without a working phone.

Also, buying an unlocked one would be mean I could upgrade to a 3G model whenever they are released without a worry of being in a contract.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2007, 08:52 AM

I'd wait. Don't mess with the unlocking fun unless you want to potentially have a messed up phone.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2007, 05:35 PM

I'm currently on Vodafone in the UK and out of any contract obligations. I really don't want a £35 / month contract, so I'm leaning toward importing an iPhone form the US and adding a data plan to my current monthly fee. If things go wrong with Vodafone because of re-locking, I could switch a SIM only plan with O2.

I might change my mind when the real 3G iPhone emerges next year, when I can ebay my imported one without any contractual issues.

VividWire  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2007, 05:49 PM

OK, I had a look on the O2 website and they are not very clear on if existing customers can upgrade / buy an iphone or not it says:
Existing Customers

If you're an existing O2 customer and you receive your bills directly from O2, or you're an O2 Pay & Go customer, during the activation process you'll be asked whether you'd like to transfer your existing O2 mobile number to your iPhone.

This process can take up to 5 working days to complete, but don't worry - we'll provide you with a temporary number so you can start enjoying your iPhone straight away.
I have emailed them saying it is not very clear and asking for more details.

Does anyone know if the US mobiles will automatically be 'unlocked' to O2 if I were to import one?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2007, 06:20 PM

I have an iPhone working fine in the UK on Orange.
we don't have time to stop for gas

philm
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2007, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Which unlocking tool did you use? I still have 9 months on my Orange contract, so I'm considering my options. In the US a couple of times before Christmas. Is there a mains charger or just via USB?

Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2007, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by jebjeb View Post
So this means that one could walk into a US Apple store, buy an iPhone for US$399, use one of the many unlocking tools available at the moment and then insert any UK carriers SIM card. After reading a little about the unlocking software, it seems that at one point, the AT&T sim has to be inserted. What if one doesn't have one?
All iPhones bought in the US Apple stores come with an AT&T SIM.

My partner just ordered an 8GB for my b-day. I've done all the research and hopefully won't have any trouble activating/unlocking it. Then I'll just be careful not to apply any firmware updates. It's the only way I can get an iPhone in the Caribbean. We'll be lucky if they start officially selling them here in 2009.

kiskynet
Sep 19, 2007, 04:13 PM

You get a SIM with the Phone from ATT but you don't have to do anything with it. You can throw it straight in the bin, then SIM unlock your phone and your good to go. A guy at work here has just done exactly that, (we all freaked out today when he pulled it out his pocket) - just need someone to pick one up for you at an Apple Store.
Treasuremytext.com :: Save your text messages online ::

VividWire  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2007, 05:19 PM

so does anyone know if a US iPhone will work on O2 without having to unlock? I am really tempted to import one but I dont really want to miss out on the firmware updates or dont want the risk of having a brick if something goes wrong.

I don't want to wait around until november.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 05:26 AM

Peter - I'd be very interested in hearing about your experiences... I'm also an Orange user.

What is the data performance like ?

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2007, 05:42 AM

Interesting! I'm a vodafone user and very happy with my tariff. I'd like to know more abut your experience too as I'd consider putting my vodafone sim in.
Obviously it works on EDGE right? What is that like in practice?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2007, 08:05 AM

So.. yeah Orange are good.
Full EDGE coverage, according to a mobile speed test I ran, I get about 50kbps which is plenty for mobile surfing.
All the features work, pressing the voicemail button takes me to my voicemail (not visual obviously) I'm hoping that visual voicemail will be enabled, as if Orange has iPhones in France maybe they'll enable Visual Voicemail everywhere!
Unlocking was a sinch, downloaded the Open Source unlocker, unlocked and ready to roll after about 20 minutes of unboxing.

My contract gives me:
900 Minutes
Unlimited Texts
Insurance (primarily for the call abuse, but they'd replace my phone with a Nokia E61i too)
30Mb / month data.

Apparently Orange are going to totally rework their data deals in the near future - I assume to reflect the jump in data usage. O2 gives you 1Gb a month now.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2007, 11:19 AM

Orange do have pretty poor tariffs for data at the moment - but realistically I'd probably only really use the networking features within reach of Wifi.

So, can I ask where you obtained the phone ? I'm looking at some US eBayer - if you have any that you recommend please name then (PM me if you like)

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2007, 05:58 PM

Peter:
How much do you pay for that plan? I pay Vodafone £35 including VAT for 700 minutes and 200 texts. No data. It was the minutes I wanted 10 months ago when I took out the contract. They do now offer 1Gb of data as the basic package but that's extra.I'm waiting to see what they do when O2 bring in new data packages.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2007, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce View Post
Orange do have pretty poor tariffs for data at the moment - but realistically I'd probably only really use the networking features within reach of Wifi.

So, can I ask where you obtained the phone ? I'm looking at some US eBayer - if you have any that you recommend please name then (PM me if you like)
Friend of mine shipped it to me.. $400 + $50 shipping.

Originally Posted by jbleisure View Post
Peter:
How much do you pay for that plan? I pay Vodafone £35 including VAT for 700 minutes and 200 texts. No data. It was the minutes I wanted 10 months ago when I took out the contract. They do now offer 1Gb of data as the basic package but that's extra.I'm waiting to see what they do when O2 bring in new data packages.
I pay £35 per month. Additional £8 for the data.

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2007, 07:47 AM

Actually, I got my tariff wrong - there are more minutes than 700 because after 6pm they only count 1 minute for the first hour. However it's data that I'm after now......as well as minutes.

apollo11
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2007, 09:57 AM

I tend to adopt early ,but the goings on in the US must be diificult to bear for those that bought early there.

I love Apple (and the US - really great country and people) but I feel Apple have been less than generous with the iPhone.

My past experience with O2 is that everything is ok whilst you're buying or upgrading but anything else- attracting any service is nigh on impossible.

I'll wait until 32 gigs, 5 days standby, same screen res. at least, maybe a little trimmer and 15% smaller width and length

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2007, 03:51 PM

My past experience with O2 is that everything is ok whilst you're buying or upgrading but anything else- attracting any service is nigh on impossible.
I have a business account with vodafone. The really good coverage and great level of service I have had whenever I have had any problems make me not want to change provider.........so we'll see about an iPhone. I'd be happy too to wait till end of 08 and see what is happening then.

That said I'm still tempted to do what Peter has done and unlock one

VividWire  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2007, 11:00 AM

I think I will wait until the 9th now after apples announcement about unlocking damaging iphone

By the way jbleisure just noticed you are from Bristol, I am as well

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2007, 11:08 AM

I'm still going for it.

1. I don't think the update is going to re-lock unlocked phones, or break them
2. I think the 1.1.x update will be hacked & unlocked within a month
3. I reckon the UK specific firmware, once available, could be applied to a US phone, giving me an 'official' UK / O2 locked model.

Of course, all this is pure speculation. Worst case scenario I spent £250 on an 8GB iPod Touch.

Wish me luck, mine arrives Monday.

VividWire  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2007, 11:15 AM

Ok, well please let us know how that goes, I am still going to consider it

Has anyone had problems with unlocked iphones? What are the chances of 'bricking' the iphone if you unlock it?

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2007, 02:39 PM

I think I will wait until the 9th now after apples announcement about unlocking damaging iphone

By the way jbleisure just noticed you are from Bristol, I am as well
Are you moving to O2 or already with them?

I love living in Bristol!

VividWire  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2007, 04:51 PM

I am already with O2, moved to them last month.
Yeh Bristol is cool

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2007, 06:03 PM

I'm still going for it.
mrwalker Let us know how it goes.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2007, 08:17 AM

Didn't update my iPhone obviously, all working well - I can simply not upgrade my iPhone so everything is working perfectly so far.
Except youtube, but haven't looked into why.

kiskynet
Sep 28, 2007, 08:27 AM

Unlocked here with a new iPhone + Youtube working avoiding 1,1,1 upgrade. Process is documented at modmyiphone. I think Independance looks after the YouTube problem
Treasuremytext.com :: Save your text messages online ::

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2007, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by jbleisure View Post
mrwalker Let us know how it goes.
Well, it's here! It took me about an hour to sync everything from iTunes, install the necessary software & perform the unlock.

Everything is working fine, including Youtube. The speed of Vodafone's data service is poor as expected - just about good enough to search Google and browse the web if you're patient, but Youtube is out of the question and Google Maps takes an age.

In just over 24 hours I've sent & received less than 1MB of data, although I have wireless networks at home and at work.

Overall, it's cheaper than buying an official iPhone (if you or a friend can collect one) and I don't have a contract with anyone. There is the slight issue of software updates, but so far there's nothing compelling to update for and it looks like the hackers are making headway anyway.

I'm planning on buying an 'official' 3G iPhone when they're available but I'm more than happy with this one until then.

Forum Links
Forum Rules