Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ibook g3 not booting

Ibook g3 not booting
bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2008, 06:20 PM

I was given a 12" 800mhz ibook g3. I was told that the display was broken, but I assumed it probably wasn't and that the previous user didn't really know what they were doing and somehow broke the machine (this suspicion was confirmed when the laptop was given to me half taken apart with the machine and all screws in a paper bag). After messing around with the machine for a few minutes I got a glimmer of life out of it. The machine booted into OSX and after it finished the loading bar screen the display started to flicker and then it sat for a minute and the display shut off. After that I couldn't get it to display an image.

The machine boots into target disk mode and the drive is fine, it does not output any video from the video out. I took it fully apart, reconnected all display connections (the connection directly to the LCD panel was very loose) and started to reassemble it. I have it together so far without the top and bottom casings on, just to make sure it's working before I waste tons of time trying to find the proper screws.

The machine turns on, the drive spins up and that's it, no image on the display and it shuts off immediately when you touch the power button.

I have reset the PMU, checked all connections, and still nothing.

I am hoping it isn't a video issue with the logic board. Aside from that though what could be wrong with the machine? And are there any remedies to the video issues with the logic board?

Thanks for any help.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 19, 2008, 07:03 PM

Sounds like the logic board issue to me. Guy Kuo wrote an excellent thread on a repair. http://forums.macnn.com/69/mac-noteb...b-logic-board/

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2008, 08:16 PM

Thanks a bunch, also it seems as if there is some sort of recall program for certain motherboards that exhibit this issue, is that still going on? And if so what's the required serial range?

Thanks again.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 19, 2008, 08:19 PM

I'm pretty sure the recall is over because I would have got my 900Mhz fixed in 2006 if it had still been running. I can't see it in the support area of apples website but it might turn up on a Google.

Forum Links
Forum Rules