Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Imac G3 not turning on

Imac G3 not turning on
bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2008, 03:15 PM

So I have an imac g3 700mhz model. It was working fine, but a few months ago it stopped turning on. When you press the power button it flickers on for less than a second, you can hear the screen power on and off very fast but no image comes up, and then that's it. So far I have reset the PMU/NVRAM, and swapped all the memory out with no luck. I'm hoping it's not a dead logic board, but I can't really test anything.

If anyone has any suggestions that'd be great.

Thanks for any help.

P
Feb 19, 2008, 12:07 PM

Open it up an look for any leaking or bulging capacitors inside. To me it sounds like the analog board has blown one.

DocWest
Senior User
Feb 25, 2008, 01:11 AM

Yeah this happens with my old ass g3 400 occasionally.
if i pull out the power cord from the back of the computer for about 10 seconds, put it back in, then turn on again it usually works again. sometimes have to do it 2 or 3 times.

hope that's all is wrong with yours

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2008, 04:15 PM

It might just need a new PRAM battery. My iMac G3 333MHz did almost the exact same thing and a simple PRAM battery fixed it all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules