Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Quicktime: Ending movies on a specific frame regardless of position...?

Quicktime: Ending movies on a specific frame regardless of position...?
gberz3
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2008, 10:27 PM

Hi All,

I'm having a bit of trouble trying to figure something out with Quicktime. Basically, I want to end my movie on a specific frame that is prior to final frame.

Let's say, for instance, that the movie has 300 frames. I want it to play all 300, and re-display frame 14 as it's "final-poster-frame". Is something like this possible?

If nothing else, I'd at least like the movie to reset to the first frame (without looping).

Regards.

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2008, 01:22 AM

You can select individual QuickTime frames in QuickTime Player by holding down the shift key as you play, or use the arrow keys for individual frame control. Then copy the frames (or frame), move to in the insert point, and paste. In your case, since you would have one frame copied to the clipboard, you would have to paste multiple frames to get to the desired legth. Most videos are 30 frames a second. Hope that makes sense. This may require QuickTime Pro.
( Last edited by QuadG5Man; Jul 16, 2008 at 01:26 AM. Reason: added last)
2002 Mac Mini i5 8GB 256GB SSD
2013 Macbook Air 4GB/128GB
iPad Mini A7 32GB

gberz3  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2008, 01:30 AM

Yup, that makes total sense. I was hoping to be able to perform the tasks programmatically without actually manipulating the original video, but this will work for now.

If you have any other suggestions, it would be most appreciated.

Best Regards.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2008, 10:04 AM

You could programmatically copy the 14th frame to the end or copy the 14th frame to a buffer and replace the QuickTime view with that buffer, but frankly it seems like a bit more trouble than just editing the video in the first place.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

gberz3  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2008, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
...but frankly it seems like a bit more trouble than just editing the video in the first place.

...don't feel the need to dispute that in the least. Still the movie will be displayed on multiple pages with different requirements, and rather than have 8 or so copies of the movie I'd like to know how to start-stop-restart at specific points in the film and just reference the same item --if at all possible that is. I'm absolutely approaching this more from a programmatic-don't-duplicate-if-you-don't-need-to rather than a graphic designer I-have-30-terabytes-of-storage-and-I'm-gonna-use-it standpoint.

Best.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2008, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by gberz3 View Post
...don't feel the need to dispute that in the least. Still the movie will be displayed on multiple pages with different requirements, and rather than have 8 or so copies of the movie I'd like to know how to start-stop-restart at specific points in the film and just reference the same item --if at all possible that is.
If you're talking about a website, take a look at some of the QuickTime's JavaScript controls. It seems as if some things have only been around since QuickTime 7.2, but browser support seems to be since IE 5, Safari 3, and Firefox 2.

The first thing you would do is attach the "qt_ended" event (QT DOM Events) to your movie, which would trigger a handler when your movie has finished.

From there, there are a few methods you can call on your movie (QT JS Ref). It looks like the most promising one is "Step(int count)," which can step the movie "forward or backward the specified number of frames from the point at which the command is received." You'd have to save the exact amount of negative frames from the end for the movie, but that seems like the easiest part.

Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules