Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > recommendations for an all-in-one printer/scanner for college use

recommendations for an all-in-one printer/scanner for college use
jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2008, 11:14 AM

hey guys

looking to get a relatively cheap (under $200) all in one device that does good printing and scanning. don't really need to worry about photo quality but good software for scanning and printing (drivers) for the mac is a must. anyone have any experience with these devices they'd like to share?

thx!!

-- james

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 6, 2008, 05:12 PM

I just bought a Canon MX310 all-in-one. Print/scan/copy/fax in one package. It's a great gadget, and it lists for something like $130US. Does photo-quality prints too.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jamesa  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2008, 01:06 AM

sweet. thanks for the response!

moep
Senior User
Aug 11, 2008, 02:31 AM

I bought a Canon Pixma MP210 for relatives not too long ago and was quite pleased with the device.
It worked just fine on my mac and the driver quality was a night and day difference over the HP-junk I’ve had to put up so with far.

As for the device, the scan quality was perfectly fine (I only tried scanning documents into Acrobat though, no photos) and so was the print quality. The whole device is a bit large and bulky though.

Considering the price (45€ here in Europe) it’s an unbelievable package that you can’t go wrong with.

My next printer/all-in-one is definitely going to be a canon, preferably one with ADF and a color laser like the iSensys Series.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2008, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I just bought a Canon MX310 all-in-one. Print/scan/copy/fax in one package. It's a great gadget, and it lists for something like $130US. Does photo-quality prints too.
Another vote for the MX310 - I have had one for about a year now and have been very satisfied with it. There are some more compact AIOs space wise, but I love Canon's quality and Mac friendliness.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2008, 01:45 AM

I bought a Canon Pixma MX310 for $80 at Circuit Shitty the other day.

I am 100% pleased with the spacious auto-document-feeder (30 sheets!) and the speed (fast scanning!). I bought it for my parents, and I hope to have one for myself one day.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2008, 05:00 AM

When I was in college, I bought a HP PSC-1350 due to the compact size. It was okay at that time, but noisy. After hearing from HP for not providing necessary drivers on Leopard, I got myself a Canon PIXMA MP610. This thing is huge compared to the HP I used to have.

idykenano
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2008, 06:05 PM

Another vote for the Canon MX310. Very speedy, document feeder is a huge plus when I want to scan pages of notes.

chichow
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2008, 10:27 AM

Can I pile on. I also have the Canon MX310.

Nice doc feeder as long as you are a scan document manager freak

zombie punk
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2008, 10:35 AM

Canon is great. Steer well clear of Samsung.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2008, 05:51 PM

Ok maybe this shows how often I use a printer, but I just found out that my HP PSC1215 won't work with Leopard. I'm not looking for big features like a document feeder, and really looking for a cheaper one, similar in size to the 1215 (pretty tight for space here)... Canon MP210?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 22, 2008, 02:47 PM

Get one of the Canons with individual ink tanks. They don't cost much more up front, but you'll save tons of money on ink down the line.

I'd look at the new Pixma MP620. Really fast, cheap ink, double-sided printing, great print quality, cheap ink, and wireless and wired networking.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2008, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
Get one of the Canons with individual ink tanks. They don't cost much more up front, but you'll save tons of money on ink down the line.
Great point. It's a bitch having to pay to change a tri-colour cartridge when only a single colour has died.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Forum Links
Forum Rules