Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > new to Mac...OSX disc question

new to Mac...OSX disc question
bhoup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2008, 09:41 PM

Hello. I recently purchased a used MacBook Intel Core Duo and I wanted to restore it to like it was fresh out of the store. I have an included black disc that says "Mac OS X Tiger, Includes Xcode 2, Install DVD, Version 10.4.6" but when I click on the icon to do this it says "Mac OSX 10.4 cannot be installed on this machine." What am I doing wrong?

TIA!
Brent

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2008, 04:36 AM

Before you even do a full re-install:

If the disk is black, rather than grey, it is NOT the disk that came with the MacBook originally (two disks actually - one for the OS and one for the software), and it does NOT include all the pre-installed software - like iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto, GarageBand, etc.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Oct 18, 2008, 09:24 AM

That sounds like a PowerPC install DVD. That's another problem since your machine is Intel based.

bhoup  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2008, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the replies! I'm even assuming that this came with 10.4 pre-installed when it was new.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 18, 2008, 11:33 AM

The install discs from that MacBook should be gray with white writing, and should say MacBook on them, too. If you've lost the original discs (a retail copy of Tiger won't work!), you can call AppleCare and order a replacement set. If you want Leopard, any retail copy will work, but it will not include iLife.

Forum Links
Forum Rules