Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Strange stuff on startup...

Strange stuff on startup...
adeyj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2009, 09:43 PM

Basically I've just got home with my new macbook. Took the hard drive out straight away, replaced it with my 320gb one with all my files on it from my old macbook and turned on.

Well, the macbook is working fine once it boots and everything seems to be working correctly, however when I initially turn it on, a grey screen (no apple) appears and then turns black. Then a load of white text appears, seems like it lists the components in the macbook and confirms that they are all connected, scrolls down and the whole thing is over in about 20 seconds, turning the screen blue and booting up to my desktop.

I haven't yet tried the HDD that came with it, as at the moment I am backing up all my data to my external 500gb through time machine. Is there anything I can do to get rid of this stuff? I've done software update and it's still doing it.

My current idea is to install leopard afresh on the 320 and then copy all the stuff from my 500 to it, but this would take a very long time and be a tedious manual procedure. Could using superduper help?

Does anyone have any idea as to what this could be? Bit worried that something might just go wrong one day and also it's not the nicest thing to sit through white text at startup... reminds me of windows

Edit: Just found something on apple site that suggests it could be starting in 'verbose mode'. Would I be correct in thinking this is the reason? Will try it once time machine is done (only 180GB to go... :/ )

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Feb 3, 2009, 11:17 PM

sounds like the correct diagnosis to me...i believe if you clear the pram it goes away--or it can also be toggled with Onyx and other apps like it

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2009, 11:25 PM

I did read recently about a terminal script to stop this, perhaps a search ?

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

adeyj  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2009, 08:09 AM

Thanks for the help, but clearing pram, onyx or none of the terminal scripts I've found through googling seem to help Any other ideas?

Forum Links
Forum Rules