Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > From VMware Fusion to Leopard with Boot Camp

From VMware Fusion to Leopard with Boot Camp
JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2009, 07:54 PM

I plan to buy the Mac Box Set this week. I want to know what I need to do to get ready to upgrade the OS. I also would like to know what I would need to do since I am currently running windows xp through VMware Fusion and now going to be able to use Boot Camp. Do I need to make a partition? and How would I do this and move my current XP stuff to it?
Thanks in advance for any help.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2009, 01:57 PM

What do you mean by " the Mac Box Set" ?

The VMware Fusion to Boot Camp conversion doesn't seem possible according to this thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=7413108

-t

ibook_steve
Feb 18, 2009, 02:26 PM

I think he means this:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...mco=MzA3NjM3NA

Leopard, iLife, and iWork together.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

JMan09  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2009, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the link turtle that answered the question. And that is the box set I am talking about Steve.

I'm going to try some more research and see what I can find. But I don't have many files in XP so it won't be hard to back up. Just re-download some software.

JMan09  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2009, 05:43 PM

I ended up backing up my documents in XP and making the Boot Camp Partition. Re-installed XP and activated it, re-installed the few programs I use on the Windows side. My problem now is when I want to use XP in Fusion instead of rebooting my computer in XP, it want me to re-activate XP. But it is saying I have already used up the number of times I can activate windows with my cd-key. I used it the first time with Fusion, and the second time in Boot Camp. I called the windows customer service and they say it is Apple's problem not theirs.
Any help on this issue will be appreciated.

ibook_steve
Mar 5, 2009, 06:12 PM

So you mean that you are having to reactivate every time you switch between Fusion and Boot Camp? That shouldn't happen. Check VMWare support for fixing that. They should be able to help.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

JMan09  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2009, 06:27 PM

No I activated windows in Fusion when I first got it. Then I upgraded to Leopard and decided to use boot camp, so i backed up my documents and deleted my Fusion virtual machine and set it up in Boot Camp with a 20 GB partition. Then had to activate it again since it was a new install and when I went to use the boot camp partition in Fusion it wanted me to activate windows again. But then I typed in my serial number on the cd and it said I activated that copy of windows too many times.
But now I called the number to activate it over the phone and it went through, so I am going to try and restart in Fusion and see if it wants me to re-activate again.

JMan09  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2009, 06:35 PM

Calling the toll free number to activate windows xp seemed to work. It didn't ask me to re-activate windows when I restarted in Fusion. I guess the next test will be when I start up window xp in Boot Camp.

Forum Links
Forum Rules