Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > TrueCrypt - Mounting and writing to a hidden volume in Leopard

TrueCrypt - Mounting and writing to a hidden volume in Leopard
m021478
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2009, 05:06 PM

I realize the answer to this question may be pretty obvious to some, but I've read the TrueCrypt user manual, and I've searched these forums, TrueCrypt's forums, and google for the answer to my question but I still can't figure this out...

I've created an encrypted file container with a hidden volume using the setup wizard. After completing the wizard, I can't figure out how to properly write data to the hidden volume. The TrueCrypt manual says,

"When hidden volume protection is enabled, TrueCrypt does not actually mount the hidden volume. It only decrypts its header (in RAM) and retrieves information about the size of the hidden volume (from the decrypted header). Then, the outer volume is mounted and any attempt to save data to the area of the hidden volume will be rejected (until the outer volume is dismounted)."
If TrueCrypt doesn't actually mount the hidden volume, and if and any attempt to save data to the area of the hidden volume will be rejected, then can someone please explain to me in layman's terms how the heck I am supposed to go about saving my sensitive files to the hidden volume?

Thanks!
TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2009, 05:56 PM

It sounds like you unhide it first, write to it, then hide it. Not sure about that though. I've only used regular TC volumes.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules