Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Any people in the UK here and online now?

Any people in the UK here and online now?
all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2003, 09:25 AM

I'd like to buy a 12" machine today but would like to know if the machines in the shops at the moment (Micro Anvika, Square Group etc.) have Panther installed on them (or come with discs).

I don't want to send away for the discs.

Has anyone bought a Powerbook recently which has come with Panther?

I'm based in London if that might have an influence on things.

Thanks very much for any help,
Ben

anticon
Nov 1, 2003, 12:53 PM

got mine on thursday and it didn't have panter installed or in the box. i have to order it from the apple site

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2003, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the reply. As with yours, my 12" also came with Jaguar. Oh well - at least it's not going to be a hundred quid.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 12:52 PM

Call the dealer and ask..
And even if it doesnt come installed, they should at least be throwing in the 10.3 upgrade CD's in the box by now.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 03:18 PM

I asked about that because when Jaguar came out last year I walked into Micro Anvika with the up-to-date coupons and they gave me the upgrade discs. Apparently they're not doing that any more, which I think's a pity. I don't like being charged such a large amount for something that should be included in the box.

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2003, 06:11 PM

Well i could of got mine on monday but it came thursday instead and without panther. Trouble is, Apple won't tell you whether it ships with panther or not. The people over the phone simply say you DO qualify for the upgrade which isn't good enough, i didn't know until i actually got my machine and THEN ordered it yesterday now i have to wait whereas i could of got it by now if they told me when the laptop shipped.

I live the UK yeah. Blackpool!
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

chrisford
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2003, 06:34 PM

I got my 12" Power book G4 from Cancom in the UK (shop, not mail order). It came with 10.2.7 installed and I've had to order Panther from the Apple website.

The machine is great, by the way!

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2003, 12:01 PM

I tried to use the Up-to-date programme on the Apple website but it wouldn't accept my serial number. I called Apple and spoke to them and they've said I have to fill out a form, photocopy my receipt and send those in.

In my opinion, that SUCKS. I'll be waiting long enough (from what I've heard to get the discs back as it is. I don't want to waste any more time sending in details which Apple could take from me over the phone.

Anyone had any experience in working out a way around this sort of thing?

Forum Links
Forum Rules