Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > help with g5 not going to sleep...

help with g5 not going to sleep...
action
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2005, 11:52 PM

hi gang,

i have rev a dual 2ghz g5 with 4.5gb of ram and an x800 video card running dual displays. 23 inch aluminum apple and a 20 inch dell 2001fp. osx 10.4.2

just yesterday, my monitor will no longer sleep or run a screen saver. i can't even run a test of a screen saver in system preferences. i hit the test button and it will fade to black for about 2 seconds and back to system preferences.

i have my computer set not to sleep and the display settings to sleep after 15 minutes and the screensaver to run after 10.

non of the components or hardware are new to these settings and i have been running this for months.

for whatever reason the displays will not sleep and or run a screensaver. i have run disk permissions. rebooted the computer. reset the system preferences to the default.

non of the above worked. any help on shedding some insight this would be greatly appreciated.

chung lee

P
Oct 5, 2005, 06:37 AM

Most likely some pogram is updating in the background. Some Dashboard widgets do that, for instance, or apps that show status symbols in the menubar.

What happens if you create a new user and log in as that one (and out as the regular one, not fast switching)? Does the sleep work?

Forum Links
Forum Rules