Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Finder freezing?

Finder freezing?
bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2007, 07:53 PM

My finder keeps freezing up and forcing me to relaunch it. My G4 NEVER did this, but the MBP has done it a bunch. If I access the HD with an app and then go to do something with the finder it freezes. This is quite obnoxious, and it needs to be solved since I do a decent amount of disk accessing and can't have my computer locking up. I have the 5400rpm 120gig drive in my MBP. Would a 7200rpm drive make any difference?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2007, 11:22 PM

When you say "forcing me to relaunch" do you mean that you get the spinning beach ball or that the screen turns grey and OS X tells you that you must reboot. If it is the latter, then it is probably a hardware-related issue (such as bad memory or a heat problem). Either way you could test software issues first:
1) Try running without loading any of your startup items (press the shift key BEFORE you submit your user ID and password during the login process and don't let go until you are up and running) and see if the machine locks when you access the drive.
2) Boot in safe mode (hold the shift key while you reboot) and see if the machine locks when you access the drive.
3) Backup up your entire hard drive to an external drive, then delete all of your preferences in ~/Library/Preferences and /Library/Preferences--perhaps starting with the preferences related to the applications that are known seem to be correlated with the problems. When you delete these files, you are normally reset to have the default settings. These files often get corrupted and cause problems. You can always copyt these files from the backup location after you finish your test.
5) Defrag your hard drive. Also, you drive should be less than half full. If it is 90% full, then you are asking for problems. You can search here or in other forums to get defrag tips.
6) If you can clone your entire drive to an external drive and then reformat your hard drive and test it without loading any special software, that might tell you if there is a problem with one of your extra applications that you added.

If it still crashes after doing all this, it is probably a hardware problem like bad memory, a heat problem, something loose inside and would need service.

See what other people say over the next couple days.
Mac Pro Quad: 2.66GHz; 4 GB Ram; 4x500GB drives; Radeon X1900, 23" Cinema Screen, APC UPS
PowerBook G4: 1.33GHz; 768MB Ram; 60GB drive

Forum Links
Forum Rules