Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iChat Screen Sharing Problems in Snow Leopard

iChat Screen Sharing Problems in Snow Leopard
m021478
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2009, 02:39 AM

My brother and I have been using iChat's screen sharing capabilities for over a years without a hitch while we've both been on Leopard. Now that we've both upgraded to snow leopard, something seems to be preventing us from successfully establishing a connection with one another...

Let me start out by noting that:

* Neither of us has the OS's built in "Sys. Prefs.>Security>Firewall" enabled.
* Both of us have screen sharing and file sharing enabled in the Sharing preference pane ("All Users").

When I try establishing a connection with him by right-clicking and on his username in the list and choosing "Ask To Share User's Screen", as soon as he receives the screen sharing invitation and clicks 'Accept', he gets an error message stating: "screen sharing has failed because an unknown connection error occurred"... on my end, I get an error message notifying me that he has declined my invitation...

Both of us have Airport routers, but I don't really think the issue is with our routers because no changes have been made to either his or mine anytime recently, and screen sharing worked great for us right before our recent snow leopard upgrade...

Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be, and how I might want to go about fixing it? Thanks!

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2009, 04:34 AM

Hello I would just like to point out that I don't have SL installed & I don't use an Airport.

I do think your problem lies with the Airport... on another note I ScreenShare with my niece & have the firewall setup blocking all unwanted access & everything works fine, If & when you sort your problem it's a good idea to setup the firewall.

I have seen reports of this bug dealing with non Apple (.Me, .Mac) Bonjour etc on SL & more on Apple forums it wont help but here's a link TidBITS Networking: Solve Snow Leopard's Screen Sharing Bug

ph0ust
Senior User
Oct 4, 2009, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by m021478 View Post
My brother and I have been using iChat's screen sharing capabilities for over a years without a hitch while we've both been on Leopard. Now that we've both upgraded to snow leopard, something seems to be preventing us from successfully establishing a connection with one another...

Let me start out by noting that:

* Neither of us has the OS's built in "Sys. Prefs.>Security>Firewall" enabled.
* Both of us have screen sharing and file sharing enabled in the Sharing preference pane ("All Users").

When I try establishing a connection with him by right-clicking and on his username in the list and choosing "Ask To Share User's Screen", as soon as he receives the screen sharing invitation and clicks 'Accept', he gets an error message stating: "screen sharing has failed because an unknown connection error occurred"... on my end, I get an error message notifying me that he has declined my invitation...

Both of us have Airport routers, but I don't really think the issue is with our routers because no changes have been made to either his or mine anytime recently, and screen sharing worked great for us right before our recent snow leopard upgrade...

Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be, and how I might want to go about fixing it? Thanks!
i don't know why it isn't working for you, but i'd like to say that not enabling your firewall and sharing openly is just plain foolish. neither affect aim's screen sharing, as i have no problem using it with a totally locked down mac.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2009, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by m021478 View Post
Interesting.

I have had similar things happening under Leopard (NOT SL). It rendered Screen Sharing useless.
Sometimes the connection would establish, and then break down after 10-30sec use.

I haven't really tried iChat Screen Sharing under SL yet.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules