Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Remote, wireless music?

Remote, wireless music?
mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2002, 05:05 AM

Hi all,

I've got a powerbook with an airport card. In keeping with the wireless theme, I'd like to be able to play music on larger speakers without plugging anything into the powerbook.

I would like to use iTunes to play music because it's the best mp3 player I've ever used.

The only way I could think would be to stream music from the powerbook over the airport to another mac & have that play through attached speakers.

Any ideas?

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2002, 06:09 AM

You'll be able to do that incredibly easily with Rendezvous - Jaguar ahoy woo!

That said, I have also heard of wireless speakers, but do not know if such things are computerconnecttoable.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

sbjordal
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2002, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by mrwalker:
Hi all,

I've got a powerbook with an airport card. In keeping with the wireless theme, I'd like to be able to play music on larger speakers without plugging anything into the powerbook.

I would like to use iTunes to play music because it's the best mp3 player I've ever used.

The only way I could think would be to stream music from the powerbook over the airport to another mac & have that play through attached speakers.

Any ideas?
Im doing this exact thing. I have a bw-g3 dedicated as a mp3 server. I have all the mp3s on a sep. hd, shared using Samba. all my computers have the mp3 hd mounted at all times, and are set up to use the mp3 hd as the library in both MusicMath (PCs) and iTunes.
All you have to do is just mount the HD/folder containing the mp3s before you open up iTunes.
With switched 100 network at the house, I am able to burn cds at full speed, even if the mp3s are served over the network.

good luck
---
One XP Box, One Suse Box, One Blue & White,
One ibook, One iMac 17 FP, one 30 gig iPod and a mini
happy .mac customer, os9 free since 3/24/01

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2002, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by Gul Banana:
You'll be able to do that incredibly easily with Rendezvous - Jaguar ahoy woo!
Actually, Stevie Jobs said the Rendezvous-enabled iTunes is still a few months away (early 2003).

Forum Links
Forum Rules