Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > USB audio in and integrated audio out

USB audio in and integrated audio out
Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2005, 06:55 PM

Hi!

I recently purchased an USB audio interface (Tascam US-122) and I would like to use its audio in, but keep using my PowerMac's integrated audio out. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to wirk in most apps I have tested. The only one I have found where it works flawlessly is GarageBand, which gives lets me choose an input and output device independently. Other apps (Cubase SX, Logic Express) only allow to select one device/driver, which seems to be used for both input and output. Is my wish really so uncommon or am I just missing something?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2006, 06:38 AM

You need to create an aggregate device out of your multiple audio interfaces (the internal out is just another interface) in Audio/MIDI Setup (/Applications/Utilities bzw. /Programme/Dienstprogramme/Audio-MIDI Konfiguration).

Note that all interfaces in an aggregate device must be set to the same sampling rate.

All devices bundled in aggregate are treated as a single device, so you can select inputs/outputs across all devices.

Taipan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2006, 03:07 PM

Wow, and even partly German, thanks! Unfortunately, it doesn't solve my problem because
a) I still cannot control the volume of the aggregate device with the keyboard, which was the main reason why I wanted to use the integrated audio out in the first place (audio pros are probably laughing at me for this), and
b) Cubase SX freezes when I select the aggregate device as ASIO driver (it's Cubase SX v1, can't afford an upgrade).
At least now I know how the audio tab of the Audio-MIDI-Configuration utility can be brought to use.
Thanks again!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2006, 06:10 AM

Yes, devices other than the built-in audio output (including aggregate devices) are not controlled by the volume keys.

The Cubase issue: Anything set up via Audio/MIDI Setup is a CoreAudio device, not ASIO. Depending on when Cubase SX 1 was written (Jaguar period?), it might just not be capable of dealing with the current audio architecture of OS X.

Forum Links
Forum Rules