Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Canadian 17" Powerbooks

Canadian 17" Powerbooks (Page 2)
Nephron  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2003, 11:31 PM

Any sightings yet?
Cheers!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2003, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by acadian:
Why would anyone in T.O. even bother with Compusmart or Computer Systems centre? The customer service at CSC especially is TERRIBLE, I bought my first PB there and swore I'd never go back. Absolutely the best place to buy Apple stuf in T.O. is either Carbon Computing (www.carbonation.com) on Dupont or MacDoc (www.macdoc.com). They're really decent, down to earth people who dont carry their noses in the air. I've bought my last two PB's at Carbon, ask for rick, he's slashed at $150.00 off the cost of each of my purchases. CPUsed(www.cpused.com) is also decent for selection but you'll have to put up with some attitude there as well, but their prices are usually $100-$200 cheaper than anywhere else.
I bought 2 computers at CSC. Seemed fine to me. Carbon computing was also fine when I talked with the guys there. Never tried macdoc.

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2003, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by pamelah:
no...I'm declaring it. I'm not risking that business. My basic point is that to make it "equal"...then you can't include taxes...or you *could* smuggle it across the border. It's only $450 in tax for my total so I still save because I'm getting the extra ram AND getting it quicker, and it's a right off for me because I have a business and it will be used for business (as well as school).
Once you get it, let us know what the final price was with tax and duty. Oh, you don't pay GST, do you? Ugh.. lucky!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2003, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by JakBeatZ:
Once you get it, let us know what the final price was with tax and duty. Oh, you don't pay GST, do you? Ugh.. lucky!
You MUST pay GST. Depends on where you are, but often you do pay PST as well. There usually is no duty however. (You don't have to pay duty on American products, but these laptops are made in Taiwan. It's a grey zone, but 99% of the time they consider them American enough to avoid duty.)

Nephron  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2003, 01:01 PM

OK,

Computer Systems Centre say that they have a 17" demo. Noone has any stock yet, but some places think they might have some next week.

Cheers!

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2003, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Nephron:
OK,

Computer Systems Centre say that they have a 17" demo. Noone has any stock yet, but some places think they might have some next week.

Cheers!
Yonge & Richmond?!

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2003, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
You MUST pay GST. Depends on where you are, but often you do pay PST as well. There usually is no duty however. (You don't have to pay duty on American products, but these laptops are made in Taiwan. It's a grey zone, but 99% of the time they consider them American enough to avoid duty.)
Yeah, I keep getting those confused. So if you just bring across, you have to pay only the tax on the converted value of the product, right?

So ie: $3,200.00US = ~$4,750.00CDN * 15% = $5,462.00

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2003, 03:39 PM

Yeah, I keep getting those confused. So if you just bring across, you have to pay only the tax on the converted value of the product, right?

So ie: $3,200.00US = ~$4,750.00CDN * 15% = $5,462.00
yes that's right.

and the rules are:

NO DUTY on any electronics
you PAY GST
you PAY PST (unless you own a business...then you don't)
Architecture:Design | 17" alPB | 23" cinema display etc...

Nephron  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2003, 04:54 PM

Yonge & Richmond?!
No, that's Compusmart. CSC is at College and Spadina.

Cheers!

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2003, 05:08 PM

Ah! Of course.

Thanks!

xtal
Senior User
Apr 8, 2003, 12:51 PM

I saw the 17" at CSC yesterday, and it is quite impressive. It seemed smaller (and thinner) than I expected. The trackpad is quite large, and the backlight feature is excellent (as far as we could tell in ambient light).

Now, if it weren't so expensive...

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

bacchus
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2003, 01:02 PM

Just saw my first 17" Alubook at the Simply Computing store on Broadway in Vancouver...

Damn that is one sweet machine.
http://www.repair-xp.com
-----------------------------
If you're looking for information on the best windows xp repair tools , check out www.repair-xp.com

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2003, 02:04 PM

Ditto. Just went to see it at CSC. Damn, that thing is obscene. It'll be nice though!

benderunit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2003, 12:15 AM

PLUS! Last night I saw the old 12" 17" commerical with the midget and the tall guy. I hadn't seen it in ages. Maybe this is a sign that their on their way to Canadian customers? At least one of the stores have a demo model now!
Have you seen Macboy's parody of that commercial, Things BIG & small? It has Yao Ming and Mini-Me ... hilarious!
Bite my shiny metal @ss!

Nephron  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2003, 08:46 AM

Hi gang,

Are there any other stores in TO with 17" demos other than CSC?

Cheers!

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2003, 11:15 AM

You have something against CSC?

That's understandable, many of us do.

Hi gang,

Are there any other stores in TO with 17" demos other than CSC?

Cheers!
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

sbe08
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2003, 03:36 PM

So, where are we now as far as 17" shipping is concerned? We have kbdog who received his and that's it? Well, MicroBoutique in Montreal has one for display, but anybody else has received confirmation that theirs is shipping? If so, when did you order?

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2003, 03:45 PM

I receive a daily backorder email from EMJ in regards specifically to my 17". It gives me a listing of the portions that are on backorder then it continues on to say that "ETAs will be included in a future update of this report", but I haven't received future update in the 3 days I've been receiving these backorder notifications.

Grr.. I shouldn't have gone to CSC to see the thing. Now I can't sleep properly at night. It feels like being a kid on Christmas eve -- ya know, when you can't sleep cuz you know that when you wake up you're gonna have some cool .****. to play with? It's like that -- except it's been like this for almost a week.

I'll be dead from exhaustion due to lack of sleep before I get this damn thing...

aka_pascal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2003, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by sbe08:
So, where are we now as far as 17" shipping is concerned? We have kbdog who received his and that's it? Well, MicroBoutique in Montreal has one for display, but anybody else has received confirmation that theirs is shipping? If so, when did you order?
Mine was shipped on 4/5, but has not arrived yet because Apple screwed up and sent it ground. I ordered on 1/15. I've heard at least one other similar story.

Nephron  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2003, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by Phat Bastard:
You have something against CSC?

That's understandable, many of us do.
Nope, nothing against CSC, just that its hard to get to if you work right in the core like I do

catalystC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2003, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by bacchus:
Just saw my first 17" Alubook at the Simply Computing store on Broadway in Vancouver...

Damn that is one sweet machine.
I checked it out today too. Very nice, it's huge.

mattnl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2003, 11:46 AM

Nope, nothing against CSC, just that its hard to get to if you work right in the core like I do
are you sure you're thinking of the right store? CSC is in the core, it's at spadina/college. or are you joking and i just missed the humour?

matt.

Nephron  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2003, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by mattnl:
are you sure you're thinking of the right store? CSC is in the core, it's at spadina/college. or are you joking and i just missed the humour?

matt.
Hehe,

All things are relative. I work with some people who think the arctic circle starts north of Eglinton. I work down near the Eaton Centre, and College/Spadina is too far to walk or transit unless you have more than an hour.

Cheers!

mattnl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2003, 12:17 PM

Hehe,

All things are relative. I work with some people who think the arctic circle starts north of Eglinton. I work down near the Eaton Centre, and College/Spadina is too far to walk or transit unless you have more than an hour.

Cheers!
i just finished up my degree at ryerson, and i live at spedina/bloor. it takes me 30 minutes from door to door... so from eaton centre to college/spadina is only about a 20 minute walk at the most. and you can pick up an awesome and ceap lunch in chinatown. also, on ttc it should only take you about 10 minutes.. dundas street car to spadina, spadina car to college.

i always though downtown was huge too, until i just started walking everywhere. it's only about 45 minutes from my place to harbour front too....

if you want somebody to go with let me know, i can meet you someday to walk over to csc.

anyway, matt.

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2003, 07:28 PM

Don't forget North Star Computers (Bay and Elm). Their prices aren't as good as some of the other vendors mentioned here (their prices are pretty much the Apple Store price), but they have BY FAR the best customer service of all Apple vendors in Toronto. They are super friendly and knowledgeable people. Many of them are "just like us"--regular guys that really enjoy Macs. And the owner is the nicest man you will ever meet.

Another cool thing about the store is they're open until midnight Mon-Fri, so you don't have to change your work schedule to check out stuff.

As or Friday the 11th they didn't have the 17" on demo though.

Whew! I haven't even heard of Carbon Computing or MacDoc. I'll have to check them out. Personally, I have had good service at CSC, and if you talk to the Mac guy at Compusmart you get good service as well (hopeless if you don't get the Mac guy).

The north end of the city is pretty barren for Mac stuff

Cheers!
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

Nephron  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2003, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by Phat Bastard:
Don't forget North Star Computers (Bay and Elm). Their prices aren't as good as some of the other vendors mentioned here (their prices are pretty much the Apple Store price), but they have BY FAR the best customer service of all Apple vendors in Toronto. They are super friendly and knowledgeable people. Many of them are "just like us"--regular guys that really enjoy Macs. And the owner is the nicest man you will ever meet.

Another cool thing about the store is they're open until midnight Mon-Fri, so you don't have to change your work schedule to check out stuff.

As or Friday the 11th they didn't have the 17" on demo though.
Like most places, the service at North Star depends on who you get. Most are pleasant, but some don't seem to know much about their own products (availablility, price, etc). The owner is a super nice guy though, your right. Plus, their hours are amazing, which is the main reason they get some of my business.

Cheers!

Nephron  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2003, 09:41 PM

Like most places, the service at North Star depends on who you get. Most are pleasant, but some don't seem to know much about their own products (availablility, price, etc). The owner is a super nice guy though, your right. Plus, their hours are amazing, which is the main reason they get some of my business.

Cheers!
Whew, I almost forgot the most important thing about North Star. They are across the road from Bangkok Garden! Mmmmm, spicy street noodle bar ... mmmmmm (where is the salivating smiley).

Cheers!

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2003, 09:23 PM

I just placed an order with CDW for the PB17+Applecare. ETA is 4/28. I'm getting it shipped to my uncle in Ohio where I will drive down from Toronto to pick it up.

I haven't cancelled my order with EMJ yet. The first company to email me a tracking number keeps the business -- the other one gets cancelled that very second.

I also picked up the Spire Meta backpack w/XL Boot.

Oh, I also sent an email to [email protected] today too expressing my disgust with Apple's choice to ignore Canada. We'll see which of his lackies gets it and how they reply.

I'll post the message if anyone is interested, I'll also post the reply, again if anyone is interested.

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2003, 12:56 AM

I just placed an order with CDW for the PB17+Applecare. ETA is 4/28. I'm getting it shipped to my uncle in Ohio where I will drive down from Toronto to pick it up.

I haven't cancelled my order with EMJ yet. The first company to email me a tracking number keeps the business -- the other one gets cancelled that very second.

I also picked up the Spire Meta backpack w/XL Boot.

Oh, I also sent an email to [email protected] today too expressing my disgust with Apple's choice to ignore Canada. We'll see which of his lackies gets it and how they reply.

I'll post the message if anyone is interested, I'll also post the reply, again if anyone is interested.

Good for you! I see you've made the move I did (but my new order is with mac connection). I'm not going to tell EMJ till the last possible second. They don't really deserve to know as far as I'm concerned. I've had no customer involvement with them. Everything I have ordered (endless list of gadgets as well as the cinema display) are all sitting in Blaine, WA waiting for me to come pick them up...everything but the powerbook and extra batter of course. The word is they are getting a huge shipment in tomorrow which will cover everyone's orders plus. I've got that powerbook and battery as overnight delivery so I should have my entire lot by thursday?! Here's to hoping!!!!!!

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2003, 08:13 AM

Damn, if MacConnection is getting a shipment tomorrow, I would like to order through them, except they are FOB Ohio and I'm getting the unit shipped to Ohio which means I'll have to pay sales tax. Oh well. Hopefully CDW will get something before the 28th. They only have 44 on backorder which is better than the 500 something that MacConnection has! :/

We shall see, we shall see. It might be a busy easter weekend!

Nephron  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2003, 04:22 PM

Has anyone heard of any stock anywhere in TO, or any other demos other than CSC?
Cheers,
Phil

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2003, 04:34 PM

I heard a rumor that EMJ was going to be getting a few in. Haven't heard any follow-up to that though.

Other than that, no. No idea.

sbe08
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2003, 04:44 PM

Just called a few reseller in Montreal. Two reseller told me they were expecting about 10 sometime next week and their demo unit this week. Since EMJ is supplying most shops, your rumor would make sense...

bananastylez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2003, 01:17 PM

hey people any more news about the 17" inches powerbook in Canada?
thanks

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2003, 01:26 PM

Nope. If you want my $0.02, do like I did. Say fluck it and order from the US. PowerMax has (had) them in stock. Ordered it on Wednesday, was at my Uncle's in Ohio on Thursday. It will actually STILL run you a little cheaper to buy from the states and ship it up here than it would to wait and buy it in Canada.

Ordering from PowerMax, after shipping (next business day, even!!), my 17" + Applecare cost $5,526CDN. That's not including tax, but the 17" + Applecare from the Apple Store is $5,838.00 before taxes.

Canada is getting a$$raped. As much as I'd like to tell Jobs to get together with all his staff and have a nice game of hide and go fluck yourself, the 17" is still the best machine out there and Steve has me by the balls.

bananastylez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2003, 03:08 PM

can you tell me how did you get that amount?
can you tell me what do I have to pay if you buy it from the us
like the DUTY and stuff like that
and what is the us Dollar rate
thanks

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2003, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by bananastylez:
can you tell me how did you get that amount?
can you tell me what do I have to pay if you buy it from the us
like the DUTY and stuff like that
and what is the us Dollar rate
thanks
Take 3,299, convert it at x-rates.com from USD to CAD. Factor in 15% tax and you have your total. There is no duty on electronics, as far as I know so it's just sales tax -- that's if you get it shipped across the border. If you go to pick it up, you can try to not claim it and that way you can avoid the sales tax too which makes it WAY cheaper in the end.

Leep in mind that the conversion isn't 100% accurate. There was about a $100CAD difference between the price I converted at x-rates.com vs. the price VISA actually charged me. I don't understand why there is a price difference though. I will have to call them and find out.

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2003, 01:22 PM

"I don't understand why there is a price difference though. I will have to call them and find out."

1.5 % service charge.

Nephron  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2003, 09:43 AM

Hi gang,

A new week ...
Compusmart still says 10 days for the new 17". I haven't heard yet of anyone having stock or anyone in Toronto other than CSC having a demo.

Any news?

Cheers!

Harry Schaefer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2003, 08:43 PM

Just to let you know I was able to pickup my 17" powerbook today from Westworld Computer. Great to have the wait over. I pondered going the US route but relented to ensure I continued to get the first class service I have enjoyed here in Calgary from Westworld. Harry

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2003, 09:11 PM

I cancelled my order with EMJ on tuesday of this week because I'm going the US route. IRONICALLY, he emailed me the next day asking if I wanted to reconsider because they had just gotten a handful of orders starting to trickle in. (I would have been far down on that trickle). So I said no. Cancel. Sometimes I think these people are playing mind games with me.

mattnl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2003, 11:51 PM

i went in to computer system centre in toronto to check out the demo for the second time, and to my surprise, it was gone! i asked the sales clerk where it went and he told me that some guy had come in a few days ago and offered them $7000 for it! so, they sold it to him. completely rediculous.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2003, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by mattnl:
i went in to computer system centre in toronto to check out the demo for the second time, and to my surprise, it was gone! i asked the sales clerk where it went and he told me that some guy had come in a few days ago and offered them $7000 for it! so, they sold it to him. completely rediculous.
Hmmm... Bizarro. I saw that very machine. Nice but it's essentially a used machine when he bought it, with people like me with their grubby little hands all over it for weeks.

Even if I did want a 17" monster (I prefer the more portable 15"), there's no way I'd pay a whopping 1/3rd higher than the full new retail price, esp. for an in-store demo.

acadian
Senior User
Apr 27, 2003, 11:43 AM

Carbon is reporting a 2-3 week ship time on orders placed today. Wouldnt an Apple store on Bloor, between Avenue and Bay be such a nice thing?

Nephron  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2003, 08:56 PM

Compusmart countdown down to 3 days. I haven't called around recently to see what the other stores are saying. It would be interesting if they announced a 15" Powerbook tomorrow along with iPods/Music Service/etc.

I can't believe that a product announced in January is still not available in Canada when it is almost May.

Cheers!

mattnl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2003, 07:30 AM

i just got word that saved by technology in toronto has some 17" in, and is getting more this week.

www.savedbytechnology.com

acadian
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 06:10 AM

I tried to figure out what the difference in cost between buying a 17" with an AE base station in Canada vs driving to the Apple store in Buffalo to purchase the same thing. Wow. Using my banks current exchange rate I could save over $600.00 by buying it south of the border, and they DO have stock there. Anyone else considered this?

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 08:32 AM

I tried to figure out what the difference in cost between buying a 17" with an AE base station in Canada vs driving to the Apple store in Buffalo to purchase the same thing. Wow. Using my banks current exchange rate I could save over $600.00 by buying it south of the border, and they DO have stock there. Anyone else considered this?
Consider it? I did it! Saved a bundle! US List after it's converted to CDN is still WAY cheaper. Plus, if you are daring and don't declare it, you save the taxes, also! My thing was I have family in the US so I can get it sent there. It works out in the end if you do the math, but even if it's close dollar for dollar, the sheer fact that you don't have to wait tips the scales in favor of a jaunt south of the border.

Going back next weekend for my iPod, memory upgrade and firewire stuff.

xtal
Senior User
May 2, 2003, 10:28 AM

The more people that do this, the less likely that we'll see a Canadian Apple Store in the near future. Just a thought.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

mattnl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2003, 10:38 AM

i'm not sure how many canadians are still waiting.. but my wait is almost over. the guy at the campus computer store just caled me to let me know what my order has shipped and will be here early next week.

matt.

Forum Links
Forum Rules