Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Refuse to be Terrorized

Refuse to be Terrorized (Page 2)
Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2006, 10:49 PM

I still say we should nuke or heavily bomb Tehran - without warning. I think that would send the message we need to send - and save countless American lives...likely those of our children, who will be the ones fighting the 'war on terror' when it gets to our shores.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2006, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Except, instead of a nationally funded army with tens of thousands of soldiers that want us dead, it's a group of terrorists probably in the 100s or 1000s who actively wish us dead. Once we know their exact whereabouts, it wouldn't even take a third of our army to wipe them away.

The challenging is the planning, the intellligence gathering, and the execution - not the brawn. The terrorists are resourceful, but not overwhelmingly mighty, so your WWII comparison is pretty flawed, IMHO.
No, you're fighting terrorists. You can't win a war like that. What I believe needs to be done is to hold nations accountable for hosting terrorists.

"We don't want to kill or arrest terrorists in our country because they'll retaliate.."

Well, if you don't, the US is gonna destroy the entire country.

There probably weren't more than a few thousand Nazis that needed killed - but it would have been just as difficult to kill them as it is to kill the terrorists. We held Germany accountable - citizens and military alike.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2006, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
I still say we should nuke or heavily bomb Tehran - without warning. I think that would send the message we need to send - and save countless American lives...likely those of our children, who will be the ones fighting the 'war on terror' when it gets to our shores.

What evidence do you have that Iran (as a nation) is planning an attack against us? What are you so afraid of?

Them attacking us would be utterly retarded, there is absolutely no strategic reason for them to do so. If any, they'd attack Israel.

BOO!!

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2006, 11:36 PM

What evidence do you have that Iran (as a nation) is planning an attack against us? What are you so afraid of?

Them attacking us would be utterly retarded, there is absolutely no strategic reason for them to do so. If any, they'd attack Israel.

BOO!!
There was no strategic reason to kill 3,000 people on 9/11.

So we can write-off Israel.

Do we sit idly by and let that happen?

At what point do we take a stand?

I mean, I don't care if North Korea or Iran nukes France or Africa or Canada.

Do you see why it might be easier to destroy our enemies earlier rather than later?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2006, 11:39 PM

So we can write-off Israel.

Do we sit idly by and let that happen?

At what point do we take a stand?

I mean, I don't care if North Korea or Iran nukes France or Africa or Canada.

Do you see why it might be easier to destroy our enemies earlier rather than later?

GI Joe, why don't you wait until we have a little more evidence before jumping the gun, huh? You are so quick to want a fight, but unfortunately there is no one that makes sense to fight right now.

If you want to fight somebody so bad, fight yourself!

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2006, 11:47 PM

I want to avoid a bigger fight.

Hell, I'd rather we all just got along and avoid all conflict.

But, it seems other people don't get the hint - likely because we're seen as being weak.

We need a leader that's a psychotic nutcase. Nobody's messing with North Korea.

edit: Spliffdaddy for president

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2006, 11:57 PM

I want to avoid a bigger fight.

Hell, I'd rather we all just got along and avoid all conflict.

But, it seems other people don't get the hint - likely because we're seen as being weak.

We need a leader that's a psychotic nutcase. Nobody's messing with North Korea.

edit: Spliffdaddy for president

If you want to avoid a bigger fight, why would you support a president that has creating a breeding ground for new terrorists in Iraq?

There is a time to haul out your member, and there is a time to keep it in your pants. Being the toughest guy on the block doesn't always help avoid the bigger fights.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2006, 12:03 AM

I'm glad Dubya is making an effort. Half-assed as it may be.

We didn't exactly see a decrease in terrorists under Clinton, now did we?

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2006, 12:04 AM

*SMACKDOWN*

I am the winnar!!

(terrorists ain't no kind of threat compared to southerners)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2006, 12:13 AM

I'm glad Dubya is making an effort. Half-assed as it may be.

We didn't exactly see a decrease in terrorists under Clinton, now did we?

Maybe.. who knows? This is not information we are privy to.

Terrorism and crime share several similarities, notably in not being things that can be completely solved. It is vital that we don't go overboard chasing our tail in a quest that has no end. The best that can be done is to take reasonable precautions and expend a reasonable amount of effort on the problem - no more, no less.

There is an overboard, do you agree?

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2006, 12:34 AM

All Barnett was offering was a little perspective, and I wish that people like you would grow tired of your constant "don't you love America?" and "do you want us to get attacked and all DIE?" variants?
Barnett's posts were far from simply offering a "little perspective".

We've been attacked for decades. It was only a matter of time before we decided to fight back.

It's funny how you accuse others of being fearful when you seem to be so concerned that our fighting back "creates terrorists". One who isn't fearful wouldn't care less.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2006, 12:39 AM

There is an overboard, do you agree?
When the enemy unconditionally surrenders, further pummeling of that enemy would be going overboard. Until then - no, there's not too much that can be considered going overboard.

In all these threads, why is it that you never ask the enemy to seize their war operations? Here's an idea: get them to stop, and then we'll stop. OK?

Cool. Let me know when that's taken care of.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2006, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by spacefreak
Barnett's posts were far from simply offering a "little perspective".

We've been attacked for decades. It was only a matter of time before we decided to fight back.

It's funny how you accuse others of being fearful when you seem to be so concerned that our fighting back "creates terrorists". One who isn't fearful wouldn't care less.

Huh? Don't get your logic here. Don't understand why my reasoning and questioning of our productivity makes me fearful?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2006, 12:53 AM

When the enemy unconditionally surrenders, further pummeling of that enemy would be going overboard. Until then - no, there's not too much that can be considered going overboard.

In all these threads, why is it that you never ask the enemy to seize their war operations? Here's an idea: get them to stop, and then we'll stop. OK?

Cool. Let me know when that's taken care of.

It won't be taken care of, just like getting criminals to stop being criminals won't happen. That's kind of the point. The only difference is, we figured out years ago where to draw the line in allocating resources to fighting criminals in our own country.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2006, 01:47 AM

It won't be taken care of, just like getting criminals to stop being criminals won't happen. That's kind of the point. The only difference is, we figured out years ago where to draw the line in allocating resources to fighting criminals in our own country.
And where's the line to be drawn in fighting jihadists funded and trained by states such as Iran and Syria? It's not as simple as jailing them, which coincidentally also seems to be a problem with the left.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2006, 11:51 AM

And where's the line to be drawn in fighting jihadists funded and trained by states such as Iran and Syria? It's not as simple as jailing them, which coincidentally also seems to be a problem with the left.

What are you asking specifically, or are you just being reactionary?

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2006, 03:11 PM

What are you asking specifically, or are you just being reactionary?
Where's the line to be drawn in fighting jihadists funded and trained by states such as Iran and Syria?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2006, 06:04 PM

Where's the line to be drawn in fighting jihadists funded and trained by states such as Iran and Syria?

Your question still doens't make sense. In whether or not to fight them at all? In how much resources to allocate to the task? In our tactics? In our political backing?

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2006, 08:01 PM

With regards to resources allocated (that's why I included your line-drawing resources quote regarding crime).

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2006, 08:08 PM

With regards to resources allocated (that's why I included your line-drawing resources quote regarding crime).

Are you referring to Hezbollah, or jihadists that are a clear and direct threat to us? My answer is dependent on this question.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2006, 09:50 PM

Why do liberals always dodge simple questions?

What part of the war on terror *do* you support?

I bet that one goes unanswered as well.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2006, 09:56 PM

Why do liberals always dodge simple questions?

What part of the war on terror *do* you support?

I bet that one goes unanswered as well.

WTF Spliff? We've gone over this over and over and over again.. were you high the last time we had this discussion?

You know my stance on the war, and you know that I don't believe in absolutes. You also know that you'll get burned if you try to paint me with a large brush.

Think before you respond to stuff.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2006, 10:02 PM

You're right about the "over and over and over again" part. As it relates to how many times I have to ask the same question - without getting a response.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2006, 10:10 PM

You're right about the "over and over and over again" part. As it relates to how many times I have to ask the same question - without getting a response.

How's this?

Everything the Republicans do is grand. Liberals hate America. Muslims love violence and death. Liberals have never been right about anything ever. The sky is always blue. When there are clouds it rains. Liberals are hippies. Liberals never want to fight. Christianity is perfect. The Earth is not warming up. Everybody should own a gun. Everybody should eat meat. Earnest Goes to Camp was a great movie.

Am I starting to catch on? Will you apprentice me into the wonderful world of simple absolutes? Absolutes are always right. You are always right. Will you be my friend?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2006, 11:53 AM

Prediction: Spliffdaddy will continue to do and say the same stuff to me as if he hasn't read my above post.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2006, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by G Barnett
Do you even know what it's like to live every single day of your life with fear as a constant companion? I can't imagine that you do, otherwise you'd know you have to face it down and beat it back every single time it rears its head, lest you become paralyzed and unable to even function
Actually, what Spliffy is on about is fighting the cause of the fear, not the fear itself. You libs are pretending that an elastoplast will do the job when what's really needed is an amputation.

I'll see your spectrum disorder and raise you a "living under the IRA for most of one's life".
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2006, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Actually, what Spliffy is on about is fighting the cause of the fear, not the fear itself. You libs are pretending that an elastoplast will do the job when what's really needed is an amputation.

I'll see your spectrum disorder and raise you a "living under the IRA for most of one's life".

When I can be convinced that we can amputate all terrorists that exist across this globe, I'll agree with you. Until then, terrorists are a vague, faceless entity that are just sort of out there in no centralized location.

Forum Links
Forum Rules