Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > AppleTV-Is there a converter from component/hdmi to RCA/S-Video?

AppleTV-Is there a converter from component/hdmi to RCA/S-Video?
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2007, 03:36 PM

I am purchasing Apple's AppleTV this week and I have a HDTV which will work fine with the HDMI or the Component Video outs but I just wish they had a RCA Video out or S-Video out for a standard TV that I wish to hook another AppleTV to.
My question, is there some type of converter that can convert either HDMI video or Component Video into S-Video or RCA Video?

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 10:50 AM

AppleTv also has S-Video outputs, as well as component, composite, optical audio, regular RCA audio. I just don't know if they all work simultaneously.

Xyphoid Process
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2007, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by dlefebvre View Post
AppleTv also has S-Video outputs, as well as component, composite, optical audio, regular RCA audio. I just don't know if they all work simultaneously.
Check your specs - there's HDMI and Component output, but no composite or S-Video: Apple - Apple TV - Tech Specs.

It looks like some companies are planning adapters, but I highly doubt that the result would be satisfactory: AppleTV.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2007, 12:30 PM

720p over component would look just awful.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Xyphoid Process
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2007, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
720p over component would look just awful.
Are you getting component confused with composite? Composite would be nasty, but component is close to VGA quality.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Xyphoid Process View Post
Check your specs - there's HDMI and Component output, but no composite or S-Video:
Sorry, my bad. It was early morning for me and I had not drink a single drop of coffe at the time. I was confused with another device that doesn't even has HDMI. I stand corrected. I'll double check in the future.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 06:18 PM

Can you even downgrade it to composite? I was under the impression that it won't work on anything less than 480p.
Linkinus is king.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2007, 09:38 AM

It's easier to find a converter that goes from Composite or S-Video to HDMI thant the oposite. I havent looked very long but I only found very few converter that goes from HDTV resolution Component to Composite or S-Video. The coverters I found are also pricey. We're talking around 200$ and more.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2007, 06:03 PM

I imagine this restriction is on purpose - the menus and configuration would be difficult to read on a display that's not at least 480p.

TeknoNolan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2007, 04:24 PM

Yes, there is a component video to s-video adapter for the AppleTV. OK..it isn't shipping yet but it's supposed to be by the end of April. Price is $99

I've been looking for something like this ever since I realized that Apple is not shipping it with an s-video output. There are probably other adapters out there or will be shortly, but this is the first one I've seen...

http://www.svideo.com/appletv2tv.html

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2007, 09:04 PM

Jesus, $99?
Linkinus is king.

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2007, 03:51 AM

My Sony Wega TV has component connections but is not widescreen. Will it work with Apple TV without a converter?
( Last edited by PHoynak; Apr 21, 2007 at 03:52 AM. Reason: misspelled word)

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2007, 04:32 AM

As long as it has a 'widescreen' option, it should work fine.

Should.
Linkinus is king.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2007, 04:18 PM

In the Sony Wega "Setup" menu there is a "16:9 Enhanced" on/off setting that converts a widescreen input into letterbox. Basically it displays widescreen in the proper aspect ratio with black bars on on top and bottom.

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2007, 02:37 PM

I found the menu and the 16:9 Enhanced setting.....does that mean it will work? I don't mean to sound stupid just want to be sure before I possibly buy one.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2007, 02:47 PM

That means it should work. There are no guarantees. However, every review I've read says that if you have Component and a Widescreen setting, there should be no problem.
Linkinus is king.

nrojas2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2007, 05:20 PM

I know Apple offers a DVI to composite/s-video converter. I have one for my MPB to hook up to my old CRT. It does seem like something is altered tho when its plugged in by OSX because the video settings are automatically changed when I plug the adapter in; but, I've heard that AppleTV runs a version of OSX, so maybe its worth trying?? You would just have to pick up an HDMI to DVI adapter in addition to it (~$40).

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2007, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by nrojas2 View Post
I know Apple offers a DVI to composite/s-video converter. I have one for my MPB to hook up to my old CRT. It does seem like something is altered tho when its plugged in by OSX because the video settings are automatically changed when I plug the adapter in; but, I've heard that AppleTV runs a version of OSX, so maybe its worth trying?? You would just have to pick up an HDMI to DVI adapter in addition to it (~$40).
That only works because the video card in your Mac is designed to change the output signal when it detects that adapter.

Also an HDMI to DVI adapter is about $3.

cscronin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2007, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by PHoynak View Post
My Sony Wega TV has component connections but is not widescreen. Will it work with Apple TV without a converter?
It works on my Sony and I don't have a widescreen option just Componet inputes, some of the movies are elongated a little but are still watchable Hope this helps!

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2007, 12:57 PM

My Sony Wega has component input and 16:9 mode. The main thing I use the 16:9 is when my DVDs are anamorphic, the setting will make them look right and not stretched vertically. Don't know if it will work with AppleTV in the same way.

Forum Links
Forum Rules