Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 -> Mac Pro migration query

G5 -> Mac Pro migration query
nath
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2007, 03:14 PM

Hi,

I've just used Migration Assistant to move all my files, apps and settings from my G5 to my new Mac Pro.

My question is whether I should actually re-install the applications from the original disks?

I.e. with Adobe CS3, will the installation that's been moved from the G5 actually be the Intel-native version? Or will only the Power PC 'version' of the app have been installed when I did my original installation on the G5?

Apologies if it's a silly question, I'm not clear on how exactly Universal installations work.

Many thanks,

Nath

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2007, 03:53 PM

The word is that you should not use MA when going from PPC to Intel - sometimes it works well, but other times it has problems. Reinstall everything to be sure. Or, if you are happy with the transfer, and everything is working well, leave well enough alone...

OreoCookie
Jun 5, 2007, 04:28 PM

If you prefer to reinstall apps, then deselect them in Migration Assistant.
You can still transfer your files and settings without a hitch.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

nath  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2007, 04:47 PM

Thanks both.

I was really interested in whether installations of Universal apps are the same, regardless of whether the system you're installing on is Intel or PowerPC. Or does the installer actually perform a customised installation of some kind, depending on the target system. Can anyone confirm this? Clearly there's no need to re-install if this is the case.

Everything seems to be working OK at the moment anyway. I'm guessing I'll notice the speed difference pretty quickly if I am running CS3 through Rosetta rather than natively.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2007, 05:08 PM

IIRC the installer will install only the relevant version, so you should reinstall CS3.

OreoCookie
Jun 5, 2007, 05:15 PM

By the way, it's actually beneficial to manually install your apps: you will automatically update all apps.

nath  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2007, 05:27 PM

Interesting. Having read this:

Intel-based Mac: How to tell if an application is Universal

...and checked my applications folder, it does appear that I have the Universal versions of the relevant applications installed. I.e. I have the option in the 'Get Info' box to run CS3 etc in Rosetta if I choose, but this option is not checked.

Oreo - I do make sure to keep all my apps up to date at all times, and ran Software Update following the migration to pick up any Apple updates.

OreoCookie
Jun 5, 2007, 05:37 PM

Not all software is updated via software update and I often forget to update software I rarely use (e. g. Acrobat/Adobe Reader or TeXShop). In particular, when I made the switch to Intel a year ago, you really needed to update a lot of software.

And as peeb pointed out, some software just installs the binaries specific for that system (e. g. Maple 11).

Forum Links
Forum Rules