Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Anyone in the NC area?

Anyone in the NC area?
Obi Wan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2003, 06:08 PM

Hey folks, I'm looking to replace my CD-RW drive in my eMac with a DVD-RW drive so I can use Apple's DVD Player with my current setup. I stupidly bought a Firewire DVD-RW drive, not knowing that DVD Player wouldn't work with an external drive. So I'm sitting with a Pioneer A04 drive that I KNOW will work, but I can't use it. I've tried patches and hacks and nothing works.

The local repair shops aren't willing to replace the drive for me, unless it's an Apple drive which is around $600. I would do it myself, but I don't know jack about doing the repair, but I've been told it can be done.

So I'm wondering, is there anyone in the NC area who might be able to help with this? I'd be willing to pay regular installation prices for the labor, so this could be a win-win situation. I'd get my drive, and you could make a little extra cash. Please contact me if you are in the area. Thanks in advance!

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by Obi Wan:
Hey folks, I'm looking to replace my CD-RW drive in my eMac with a DVD-RW drive so I can use Apple's DVD Player with my current setup. I stupidly bought a Firewire DVD-RW drive, not knowing that DVD Player wouldn't work with an external drive. So I'm sitting with a Pioneer A04 drive that I KNOW will work, but I can't use it. I've tried patches and hacks and nothing works.

The local repair shops aren't willing to replace the drive for me, unless it's an Apple drive which is around $600. I would do it myself, but I don't know jack about doing the repair, but I've been told it can be done.

So I'm wondering, is there anyone in the NC area who might be able to help with this? I'd be willing to pay regular installation prices for the labor, so this could be a win-win situation. I'd get my drive, and you could make a little extra cash. Please contact me if you are in the area. Thanks in advance!
Hey,

I happen to live in the Triangle. I have taken apart Imac before, but I heard that taking an Emac apart is more difficult. You can look at that website, where somebody explains how to replace the HD.

http://www.chriscieslak.com/emachdd/

villa

Eidt: Actually, here is exactly what you are supposed to do.

http://www.wilko.com/emac/

Seems tedious, but not undoable.
( Last edited by villalobos; Jul 16, 2003 at 05:34 PM. )

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2003, 04:56 PM

I'm in raleigh. pm me or email me. or villa.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

g4baker
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2003, 11:00 AM

Asheville.
Aaron Baker
Seburn Marketing Solutions
acebake[at]charter.net

Forum Links
Forum Rules