Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > well , i ordered a 7200 rpm drive

well , i ordered a 7200 rpm drive
h00ligan
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2003, 10:29 PM

For my tibook, $261 shipped overnight from newegg.com. Here's hoping it is worth it. The only real user review i read said itwa s definately worth it.. so here's hoping i think so.

I am helping someone with their powerbook and they have to buy a firewire enclosere to get their old data off. So they are giving it to me for helping them.. so my stock drie will become a backup drive.. the ipod just doesn't have the space for it any more.

Anyway, i will let you know how it turns out. I will take some startup measurements and so forth and report differences.. importing to itunes, app launching, startup and shutdown time.. xbench results ( i am hoping i can break 100 now, that would own)

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2003, 10:42 PM

what are you putting it in?

h00ligan  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2003, 11:01 PM

hehe, first sentence.. tibook

its a 1 ghz with a gig of ram.

jewing80
Oct 5, 2003, 11:05 PM

I unfortunately had to return mine after it developed a very noticeable, and very annoying vibration. The vibration was only under the left palm rest and seemed to get worse as time passed. Finally I returned it last night.

I had originally assumed it was a problem with the way I installed the drive. After removing it and replacing it three times I figured it was something to do with the drive. The odd part is that in an aluminum firewire enclosure (resting my hand on top of it) the vibration was not noticeable at all.

On the plus side the drive was a rocket ship, performance was awesome, and there didn't seem to be any change in battery life. The fans seemed to come on a bit more frequently than with the stock drive but the noise difference was not too bad.

I hope I just ended up with a lemon, seeing as other have this drive and I have never read about any trouble yours should be fine.

I opted to BTO a 12 inch (I'd been wanting one for a few months) and sell my Ti (I don't see a point in having more than one notebook) rather than buying another 7200 rpm drive (the money will pay for the AE card, 60gig upgrade and a 512 stick of RAM for my new 12").

h00ligan  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2003, 11:13 PM

ahh nonoooooo!! now you are making me think of cancelling it!

Why would it only vibrate in the ti, not the external case?

Also, from whom did you purchase the drive, I am not sure that newegg's return policy is very friendly, i better go check on that before it ships! damnit.

BTTW< it soudns like you are always one step ahead of me, i have been toying with selling the ti and getting a bto 12, but with an 80 gig drive.768...

depends though, i figured if this drive rules, i woudl just put it in the albook.. then again.. warranty.. argh.. damnit.

I wonder what could have been causing the vibration.. hmm..

when you had it.. was it noticable to the point where you felt the money for the drive was worth it?

.me running off to check the newegg return policy.

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2003, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by h00ligan:
hehe, first sentence.. tibook

its a 1 ghz with a gig of ram.
hot dog! that was a huge overlook on my part!

h00ligan  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2003, 11:24 PM

feel good about it, go look at some of my posts from 4 am.. garbled text.. multiple thoughts in one line..

oh yah, i neevr splechek eider.

jewing80
Oct 5, 2003, 11:27 PM

I purchased mine at a local Fry's electronics, I paid a bit more but I tend to always get stuff like that there because they have a fairly liberal return policy.

I have no clue as to why the vibration only occurred in the notebook not the inclosure. At first it lead me to believe it was my installation, however it only started 4 days after I installed it. The vibration started as a very slight almost unnoticeable inconvenience, by yesterday it really lead me to believe something was out of whack.

I know there are at least a couple posters on this board that have a 7200 rpm drive and none have reported any problems, it hopefully was just mine.

As for the 12" I have (and still am) considering the 80 gig, I'm just not sure I need that much space. I'm waiting until Panther is released until I make my decision, but man the size is sweet and the keyboard is leaps and bounds beyond what I'm typing on right now!

h00ligan  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2003, 11:29 PM

well fi i get the 12 then i will just get the stock drive and use this for a backup,, or void the warranty, oh who the hell knows

by the way, for any 12"ers out there.. is there a seal, how can apple tell if it was tampered with?

h00ligan  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2003, 11:30 PM

one other thing..

damn i really miss having a good computer store like fry's around.. it is unbelievable that in the "greatest city in the world" retail anything is so crap.

Originally posted by jewing80:
I purchased mine at a local Fry's electronics, I paid a bit more but I tend to always get stuff like that there because they have a fairly liberal return policy.

I have no clue as to why the vibration only occurred in the notebook not the inclosure. At first it lead me to believe it was my installation, however it only started 4 days after I installed it. The vibration started as a very slight almost unnoticeable inconvenience, by yesterday it really lead me to believe something was out of whack.

I know there are at least a couple posters on this board that have a 7200 rpm drive and none have reported any problems, it hopefully was just mine.

As for the 12" I have (and still am) considering the 80 gig, I'm just not sure I need that much space. I'm waiting until Panther is released until I make my decision, but man the size is sweet and the keyboard is leaps and bounds beyond what I'm typing on right now!

slimmy
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2003, 12:22 PM

Can anyone report on the noise level of this drive? that's the most important thing for me, even before speed.

Slim

Tomster
Senior User
Oct 6, 2003, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by h00ligan:
i really miss having a good computer store like fry's around.. i
I've never really heard of Fry's being discussed in a positive light. Sure, they are cheap but the service is ...interesting . Maybe living in the Bay Area/Silicon Valley has spoiled me.

iohead
Oct 6, 2003, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by slimmy:
Can anyone report on the noise level of this drive? that's the most important thing for me, even before speed.

Slim
Here you go:

http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/pb17/diskdrives.html

-A

h00ligan  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2003, 04:11 PM

HA

That's what i thought when i lived in AZ right by a fry's...

move to NYC and deal with compusa's that close at 7 am and you will learn what fry's means to you.

For desktop hardware, there are several shops here that are small and pretty reasonably priced.. on the pc side, but for software, or that "all in one sho" ou are limited to j an r which is stupid expensive and circuit city, compusa,bestbuy type of stores..

hence, I MISS FRY'S, although their CS sucks monkey nuts, COMP's is worse!!

I work for a coupele of big music magazines and many a day we have needed something that would easily be findable at fry;s, instead we have to order it from pc connection overnight, which can get REAL expensive...

there are some huge +'s to NYC, but definitely some huge -'s as well, and retail , believe it or not, is one of them.

Originally posted by Tomster:
I've never really heard of Fry's being discussed in a positive light. Sure, they are cheap but the service is ...interesting . Maybe living in the Bay Area/Silicon Valley has spoiled me.

h00ligan  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2003, 04:14 PM

OMFG that link is hilarious, i buted out laughing at work and people were like.. uhhh waht's so funny.. they wouldn't get it.

Originally posted by Tomster:

slimmy
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2003, 04:29 PM

Anyone using this drive who can report on the noise (as opposed to manufacturer's noise ratings)?

Slim

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2003, 08:35 PM

Noise, Yes I can,

It is a bit louder than the stock 80GB that came with my book, the head noise is very quiet.

I can only hear it in a silent room.
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

Forum Links
Forum Rules