Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Adding Songs To An iPod Via The Command Line

Adding Songs To An iPod Via The Command Line
Agent69
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 02:21 PM

I know that that the iPod keeps its music in a hidden directory and that it is possible to copy song from it via the command line. Is the reverse true? Can I manually add songs to the iPod's hidden directory and have them be playable?

I know that this is an odd question but I am curious.
Agent69

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by Agent69:
I know that that the iPod keeps its music in a hidden directory and that it is possible to copy song from it via the command line. Is the reverse true? Can I manually add songs to the iPod's hidden directory and have them be playable?

I know that this is an odd question but I am curious.
I highly doubt it. The iPod has a database of the songs that it contains (as well as playlists, play counts, volume levels, etc.). VERY doubtful there would be a "trigger" which would make the iPod update all this stuff if you copied a file over -- there would be almost no practical reason for this (and it would be pretty difficult to implement).

So yes you course copy files over via the command line, but you won't be able to play them -- they won't show up in the iPod menus.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2004, 07:32 PM

I highly recommend you not bark up this tree. Why would you need to do such a thing?

Agent69  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 08:34 AM

Because I don't use iTunes now, and buying an iPod would force me to.
Agent69

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2004, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by Agent69:
Because I don't use iTunes now, and buying an iPod would force me to.
I think (someone correct me if I am wrong) it would only force you to use iTunes for syncing.

When you use iTunes for the first time, be sure it is NOT set to "Copy files to iTunes Music Folder..." and that will let you leave the files wherever you want on the computer, and then sync them with the iPod.

Granted, you will still need to use iTunes for playlists, etc. Unless you just make On-The-Go lists, in which case each time you sync, they will be renamed On-The-Go-# and you can continue to access them that way, but it gets a little cumbersome.

-Jake
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2004, 08:15 PM

So I tried this by moving a file into one of the directories in the Music directory on the iPod. Bad idea! It seemed to wipe out the music database on the iPod (i.e. no music shows up on the iPod). What's more, when I plugged the iPod back into the computer, it goes into this interminable disk checking mode. Apparently, I can't even restore my iPod until it finishes (it's taking a long time).

The short anwser is: no, don't try it. Although, I don't know a lot about how the iPod works, so there could be a way. However, the simple way: mv file.mp3 iPod/..... /Music/F01 doesn't work.

Cheers!
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

Forum Links
Forum Rules