Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > imac g5 or powermac 1.8

imac g5 or powermac 1.8
mak_attack
Jan 24, 2005, 12:02 PM

Hi,

I am a long time Windows user and have decided to switch to Apple as I am using them more and more for my course and work.

I do not have a clue on which G5 mac to purchase. I would like to make a good investment and use it for many years to come.

The programs i am most likely to run on a regular basis are Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Final Cut, Maya, Toast, Macromedia stuff, Music stuff and various other multimedia design based software.

I do get an education discount and have been looking at the following specs.

Single 1.8 GHz G5 / 512MB SDRAM / 160GB Serial ATA / DVD-R/CD-RW / ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128MB, ADC/DVI / Bluetooth Module / AirPort Extreme Card (�1050 ish give or take a few upgrades)

Dual 1.8 GHz G5 / 512MB SDRAM / 160GB Serial ATA / DVD-R/CD-RW / ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128MB, ADC/DVI / Bluetooth Module / AirPort Extreme Card (�1325 ish give or take a few upgrades)

20" 1.8 GHz G5 / 512MB SDRAM / 160GB Serial ATA / Bluetooth Module/ AirPort Extreme Card (�1225 ish give or take a few upgrades)

I am new to macs for homeuse. I would like the machine to run at good performance levels for the mentioned software that i am most likely to use. I would like machine to last for a long period of time.

I would upgrade memory to 1.5 gig after a few months of purchase.

Can you please help in recommending a system?

thanks in advance for any help given

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2005, 12:24 PM

Welcome to the boards & congrats on making the choice to get a Mac!

For your uses, which happen to be almost exactly like mine (making home movies using Final Cut Pro, doing Photo work for our band w/ Adobe Suite, etc., I would suggest an iMac. The only reason you should honestly go for the PowerMac over the iMac is if you will be doing graphic intensive work in the future (like 3d graphic creation in Maya).

The ability to upgrade your graphics card would help in that respect, but aside from that most all other points are esentially alike from the iMac & PowerMac. Remember, getting a PowerMac will force you to buy a seperate display, whereas the iMac gives you a gorgeous 20" panel.

As for longevity, the Dual PowerMac would last you the longest, and give you the most future upgrade options being that it has PCI slots and the ability to switch monitors. But unless you'll going into hardcore graphic design, I honestly would recommend the iMac with at least 1GB of RAM. You can always add FireWire hard drives if you need more storage, it'll take up less room, comes with a 20" LCD, etc. Good luck!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

mak_attack  (op)
Jan 24, 2005, 01:08 PM

thanks for your reply AssassyN,

making home movies using Final Cut Pro - does it feel quick? render well? etc

doing Photo work for our band w/ Adobe Suite - does it zip through filters etc?

if you will be doing graphic intensive work in the future (like 3d graphic creation in Maya) - i have just started to learn 3ds max on windows platform and will possibly look into maya sometime in future.

getting a PowerMac will force you to buy a seperate display - very true, i was looking at 17/19" lcd and also the 20" apple display

unless you'll going into hardcore graphic design - i am unlikely to concentrate 100% on it but am likey to use software associated with it on a regular basis

recommend the iMac with at least 1GB of RAM - i would do this a couple of months after purchase on either pmac or imac.

Some Q's AssassyN:

how does the screen compare to normal tft's you can purchase on their own? is the screen bright? colour reproduction good? vibrant? sharp? can you use it for long periods at a time?

how did you reach agreement on purchasing the imac?

can you provide any screenshots of the unit in use?

thanks for help so far,

what do others think?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2005, 04:07 PM

Hi! I have used iMacs but am taking delivery of my own (see sig. below) tomorrow...after this, I will put it through my tests and then I can provide pics & better answer your questions...I'll reply as soon as I can
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

mak_attack  (op)
Jan 24, 2005, 11:05 PM

hi AssassyN,

any input once you get your imac would be appreciated.

its down to the imac vs dual 1.8!

i see you have the dell widescreen lcd. is that any good? i heard of pixel problems and loads of backlighting isssues. yours suffer from any defects? in the uk its 495 whilst apple is 599/699

thanks,

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2005, 11:30 PM

I have the 17" 1.8GHz iMac G5 and love it. If I had the money I would own a PowerMac. If cost isn't that big of a factor go for the Duel PowerMac.

Pros with the PowerMac:

You can have more than one internal hard disk, upgrade options on the video card, more RAM slots, possible future processor upgrades, easily add more firewire or USB ports, reusable display, easily upgrade the optical drive, and much more.

Cons:

More expensive

Pros with the iMac:

Great design with a small footprint. Nice display and easier than past iMacs to upgrade (hard disk, RAM).

Cons:

You only have one hard disk. If you want to add an additional you will have to go with firewire or USB external drives. 2GB RAM limit (for now), no upgrade options on the video or processor, slot load optical is expensive to upgrade, and non-reusable display.

If you only plan on using the system for a couple years or don't mind the limitations in upgrade the iMac is a great choice.

Both are great systems so I really don't think you would go wrong either way. Good luck with your choice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules