Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Tiger killed my “PRO” applications

Tiger killed my “PRO” applications
DavisH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2005, 06:23 PM

Hey

I recently upgraded to Tiger (Fresh install) and reloaded all my Pro Applications including Final Cut Pro 4.5, DVD studio, live type, etc. Now I am unable to recognize any of my cameras and playback any video (within final cut pro). Importing video through iMovie and then opening it in Final Cut it plays 1-2 seconds of the video then freezes, the audio continues un-effected. Opening up the Audio/video settings window, in the Video playback field it says (MISSING) Apple firewire NTSC (720 x 480). I know this is directly related to Tiger because I could easily import/playback large video files when using panther.

PowerBook specs
15 1.25
2 gig
Final Cut Pro 4.5

Any help would be much appreciated. It is extremely frustrating in the fact that free iMovie works flawlessly (Import/Export/playback) and the “PRO” applications I spent thousands on can’t playback the same video.

Thanks guys
Davis Hodins

CatOne
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2005, 07:18 PM

I suspect it's a QuickTime 6/7 clash. The Pro Apps rely on the QuickTime framework, and Tiger upgrades it from 6 to 7.

Did you reload (copy over) the Pro Apps, or run the installer?

DavisH  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2005, 07:38 PM

I did a fresh install of the operating system, and then installed all the Pro Applications. Then attempted to edit some video, to find out it doesn’t recognize my camera, and I that I can’t playback any video. I then installed all the updates via the software update program no effect.

Any help would be wonderful
Davis H

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2005, 08:15 PM

Check this out at the Apple site.

Pro Application Support 3.0 (Mac OS X 10.4)

About this Update
This update improves general user interface reliability for Apple’s professional applications. It is recommended for all users of:

-DVD Studio Pro
-Final Cut Pro
-Logic Pro
-Logic Express
-Motion
-Soundtrack

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...macosx104.html

DavisH  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2005, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Searching the Apple discussion board I found that this is a huge problem. People are moving back to 10.3.9 because they are unable to use their pro apps. I think Apple has over looked something here. Anyway, there is a solution to fix the problem, but it hasn’t worked for everyone. I was able to correct the problem using the instructions given on that post, but I don’t think it is a permanent fix.

The post can be found here if anyone else is interested.
http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

Thanks again!
Davis H

Forum Links
Forum Rules