Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Keeping A Macbook Pristine

Keeping A Macbook Pristine
Agent69
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2006, 01:48 AM

I am considering the purchase of a MacBook. I plan to own the computer for at least three years, so I want to keep it from looking bad.

I will be using it at home for 60 to 65 percent of the time, where I will be using it on a stand with a bluetooth KB and Mouse; but when I am away, what can I do to keep it from getting dingy? Any tips and hints would be appreciated.
Agent69

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2006, 03:18 AM

if possible do not place in a synthetic fiber laptop case. a better solution would be to transport it around inside a 100% cotton sweatshirt. these cases i believe are where all these tiny scratches come from. an added bonus is that no one will smash your car window to steal what appears to be an old sweatshirt. again----cotton.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

wilsonng
Senior User
Dec 28, 2006, 04:15 AM

wash your hands.....

or when your laptop is really dirty, cover it up with one of those decal stickers like decalgirl.com or a similar shop
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

xsphat
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2006, 06:29 AM

I am a slob who views my MacBook as a tool first and foremost, and mine still looks good. I like the sticker idea, but it has yet to come to that for me. I bought a Timbuk2 Blogger bag and I love it. By the way, I almost never have my 'book sitting static at my desk - I have it on my lap or bed most of the time when I am not at college with it. And besides, a Mac always looks better than a PC, so you'll have that going for you.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2006, 10:28 AM

Where gloves.

Oil from your hands will make the trackpad and keyboard appear used.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by k squared View Post
Where gloves.

Oil from your hands will make the trackpad and keyboard appear used.
Great suggestion! Now try it out and see how much it doesn't really work. Trackpads won't respond to input when you're wearing gloves.

acoustix
Dec 29, 2006, 12:55 AM

The stand and keyboard/mouse will be the best thing that you can do to keep it new. I also use a sheet of paper to cover the keyboard to keep out dust and avoid opening and closing the lid all the time. I also avoid shutting it as people have mentioned that the two detents on the top inside of the lid have caused small cracks to appear on the front bottom portion where they land. I only have "witness" marks at this point. If you are a road warrior/traveller user, please ignore this post.
MacBook 2.0/60GB/2.0GB
iBook 1.42/60GB/1.0GB
iBook 300/6GB/320MB

mrplow
Dec 29, 2006, 03:26 AM

Just call Apple disgruntled and get the case replaced as needed

I just recently had my top case replaced with a shiny new white one, as the old one was absolutely disgusting. So far this one hasn't staind either, though I just started using an external keyboard and mouse- so I don't expect it to again.

Also I second the ghetto sweatshirt/tshirt idea, that's how I lug it around in my Jansport backpack through the city to class. Not only is it cheaper and undamaging, but now I have a change of clothes with me

neverskatewsandles
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2006, 02:06 PM

hey how did you get them to replace the case? Did you just call and ask for it to be replaced because it looked bad or did you take it into a local apple store. My bottom case looks horrible and it has since the first few days i had it. I though the cases were supposed to be semi strong.
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

mrplow
Dec 29, 2006, 02:08 PM

Well they have acknowledged that the top cases are defective, so that took no-effort. If the bottom case looks extrodinarily messed up and you haven't even had it very long, it can't hurt to call and bitch.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 29, 2006, 02:19 PM

First, you must realize that "not looking bad" and "pristine" are pretty far apart on the "crappy looking" spectrum. I think Apple's styling overcame their practicality in this case even more than it did with the "ultra scratch" iPod cases, mostly because a MacBook has a lot more surface area to get "buffed" and thus show the loss of gloss in the finish.

Wilsonng's advice about washing your hands is actually very good. Our hands are VERY dirty most of the time, and people don't wash nearly enough anyway. But on top of that, washing your hands will reduce the amount of excess skin oil that you transfer to the computer, which in turn will reduce the amount of oil that attracts and holds crud on your computer. To compliment this, wash the computer (the palm rest area especially) fairly regularly too.

There are a number of "Invisible Shield" type products you can get to cover and protect exposed plastic, so look into that area too.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

neverskatewsandles
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2006, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Well they have acknowledged that the top cases are defective, so that took no-effort. If the bottom case looks extrodinarily messed up and you haven't even had it very long, it can't hurt to call and bitch.
So anyone can call and get the top case replaced? Mine is not horrible but if it is "defective" I want it replaced
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

Forum Links
Forum Rules