Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook Video Performance

iBook Video Performance
serranot
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2005, 11:33 PM

Folks,

I have a brand new 1.2ghz G4 12" iBook, 512k memory, to which I added a 5400 rpm Travelstar and swapped the CD drive for a combo drive (it's an edu model). I'm a bit disappointed in playing Quicktime movies or WMA. Even the new JibJab release drops frames. Any suggestions? Do I have to go higher on the memory or what? Even my 1.5 year old eMac plays video better.

Thanks,
Tom
T-bob

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2005, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by serranot:
Folks,

I have a brand new 1.2ghz G4 12" iBook, 512k memory, to which I added a 5400 rpm Travelstar and swapped the CD drive for a combo drive (it's an edu model). I'm a bit disappointed in playing Quicktime movies or WMA. Even the new JibJab release drops frames. Any suggestions? Do I have to go higher on the memory or what? Even my 1.5 year old eMac plays video better.

Thanks,
Tom
I have a 1.2 with 256RAM and stock 60gig hard drive, it plays quicktime fine. I have not had any dropped frames at all, I don't think it's the machine as much as your setup. Maybe some of the software you installed did something?
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

mrwilly123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2005, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by serranot:
Folks,

Thanks,
Tom
Well, your RAM is lacking. OS X generally needs about a thousand times more ram than that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules