Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Battlefield 3

Battlefield 3 (Page 4)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 10, 2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
The inability to change your key bindings outside of live multiplayer is the stupidest things I've seen in a game in a long time. Add that to the fact that it doesn't UNBIND other keys (oh, you want E to be forward? well, I guess that can be melee attack as well) is unacceptable.
Yeah, I was complaining about the UI before, and DICE's decisions have led me to three conclusions, all of which aren't good. Either they have no ability to make a good front end, they don't care, or they simply don't have the time. Given PC users get a web browser, I'm thinking a mix of two and three.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2011, 03:59 PM

Anyone still getting on the beta with any regularity? I've tried to amp myself up, but have only been on FIFA and Uncharted 3 the past few days.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 11, 2011, 04:03 PM

It ended Monday morning. I'm going to post final thoughts when my job stops beating me senseless.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 18, 2011, 10:30 PM

Battlefield 3 Beta, Have you seen my friends? - YouTube

---

EA tries to manipulate Battlefield 3 scores in Norway - Battlefield 3
There have been some unfortunate developments with EA Norway and the way they’ve been handling access to Battlefield 3 review copies. According to Norway’s top news outlet, NRK, EA has withheld review copies of Battlefield 3 to reviewers whom they thought would give the game a bad score. A number of Norwegian gaming outlets, including popular ones like Gamer.no and GameReactor, have been refused review copies of Battlefield 3 due to their review scores of past Battlefield games.

Furthermore, EA inquired potential reviewers of Battlefield 3 to see whether they were Call of Duty fans, whether they played the beta and if they were frustrated with the beta. You can see the full list of questions above.

EA’s actions in this case have been criticized by Norway’s top journalists, like Gunnar Bodahl-Johansen from Norway’s School of Journalism, calling EA’s actions “unacceptable”, adding, “It is a sad situation for both EA and game journalism that it appears that this is normal.”

EA has been quick to issue an apology, with EA Norway marketing manager Oliver Sveen saying “this should not have been sent out. We have made ​​a mistake and we apologize. This is not something that neither should have happened earlier or what we intend to continue”.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2011, 12:32 AM

HAHA! EA got their hand caught in the cookie jar again. What a bunch of wankers.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 19, 2011, 07:20 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 25, 2011, 01:20 PM

Still haven't seen any reviews on the console version. Assholes really rigged he game nicely this time.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2011, 01:28 PM

Didn't the reviewer from Joystiq hint that something like that was happening? Ie. He noted that not all reviewers were receiving a copy and speculated just as much.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2011, 05:50 AM

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2011, 07:57 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
That was to be expected – because EA are cock suckers and because it always happens with dedicated servers.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2011, 10:22 AM

Very well, where do I begin?

This game, simply put, has the worst implementation of Team Deathmatch I can recall seeing this generation. It's lazy, unimaginative, but worst of all, completely betrays the game's strengths in utterly inexplicable fashion. This is a game [I've come to believe] is primarily about large maps, vehicle combat, destruction, and squad spawning. In TDM you'll experience one of those – destruction.

The maps are small and claustrophobic. My best guess is this is to deliver an adrenaline fueled experience of never ending action, but in reality it makes the map a cluster**** of hell. Which leads us to the spawning – move over Black Ops, there's a new king in town.

Let's start off with the beginning of the game. In every game I can recall playing (even the bad ones) Teams start on opposite sides and rush towards each other. Not in Battlefield. The initial spawns appear to Free-for-All – everyone is distributed randomly on the map – and death could come from pretty much any angle from the get go. It's infuriating. After that, there's no squad spawning (actually, there's no squads), so you can only pick a "set" spawn which seems to be kind of random, but definitely does not care who or what is around it. How much does it not care? I played 3-5 TDM games last night. I spawned behind an enemy around three times and in front of one another two or so.

Now, when I set the bar of expectations for TDM in this game, I used Homefront as my guide. While that has a negative connotation for almost everyone, I thought it's fusion of Battlefield and Call of Duty had merit. TDM with vehicles on the field was fun. For some reason, however, DICE decided vehicles in TDM were a no-no. This could partly be for balancing reasons, but I don't see it. They would have to make the maps bigger, which could slow down the game... but honestly, if they like to create a slower more tactical FPS that rely's on teamwork, why throw all that out for generic, poorly implemented fragfest? I don't get it.

---

Later in the night (When the servers started to come back up) I joined a rush game on one of the larger maps. It was a blast. I got in a tank and started stomping around the field until I found people and then helped my team repel defenders as we took a platform. After I was destroyed I jumped into a heli gunner's seat, but didn't see much action, so I jumped into a another tank I found and did some more attacking another point. Nailed an engineer trying to RPG me, then later bailed as my tank exploded, only to kill a guy disarming our bomb before the server died and I lost all the XP for that game (sad face).

But it was clear: Those five or ten minutes were an absolute blast and I can't wait to try it again, hopefully with a team mate. Leveling and unlocks are annoyingly slow, and I worry about vehicle unlocks in the future, but for the time being, the potential for fun is still very much alive.

Except in the TDM game type.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
This is a game [I've come to believe] is primarily about large maps....
The maps are small and claustrophobic.
Sorry Dakar, which one is it? Does it change with gametype?

Make my decision for me, do I buy it?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2011, 11:23 AM

Sorry Dakar, which one is it? Does it change with gametype?
Yes, they tailor the maps per gametype.

Make my decision for me, do I buy it?
Did you like Homefront? What game types did you play in it?

What FPSs were you playing before CoD?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2011, 11:25 AM

Everyone will be on MW3 in a short time.

Also, EA is full of crap.
Battlefield 3 PS3 ships sans Battlefield 1943 bonus, EA counters with early DLC

EA and Sony have made a pair of announcements regarding exclusive goodies linked to the PlayStation 3 version of Battlefield 3 -- and we failed to realize that one invalidated the other. The free copy of Battlefield 1943, DICE's de facto console-exclusive shooter, didn't make it into PS3 copies of Battlefield 3 as originally intended.

Responding to questions on Twitter, the official Battlefield account offered the following: "In lieu of 1943 being available on disk for PS3 customers, EA has made all BF3 expansions available early to PS3 customers."
EA "counters" with early DLC? The early DLC was announced weeks ago. If the plan all along was to replace BF:1943 with that, why didn't they announce it at the time?

Not that this affects me, but there's going to be plenty of pissed-off folks out there.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Everyone will be on MW3 in a short time.
I feel like we've switched bodies.

Also, EA is full of crap.
Battlefield 3 PS3 ships sans Battlefield 1943 bonus, EA counters with early DLC

EA "counters" with early DLC? The early DLC was announced weeks ago. If the plan all along was to replace BF:1943 with that, why didn't they announce it at the time?

Not that this affects me, but there's going to be plenty of pissed-off folks out there.
I wonder why they changed their mind. Or if they just effed up the manufacturing.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2011, 11:32 AM

Did you like Homefront? What game types did you play in it?
Just the TDM equivalent. It was OK. A good diversion but couldn't replace MW2. Think that I'd rank it above Blops enjoyment though.

What FPSs were you playing before CoD?
Wolfenstein, Doom - on PC.

Is BF3 a game that you can play on your own, or does one HAVE to have good team-mates/cooperation?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2011, 11:38 AM

I feel like we've switched bodies.
I hope you don't mind man boobs.

I wonder why they changed their mind. Or if they just effed up the manufacturing.
No idea. What I do know is that their new explanation is the most easily-discerend lie I've heard EA tell.

...maybe.

Very different pacing from the CoD series. Much slower, for the most part. Not sure about all the new BF3 maps affecting it though. Reading Dakar's comments, they seem to have been "dumbed down" a bit since BC2.

Is BF3 a game that you can play on your own, or does one HAVE to have good team-mates/cooperation?
The last Battlefield was fine alone, but made much, much better with teammates. I'm assuming that remains true with BF3.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2011, 11:54 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2011, 12:00 PM

Just the TDM equivalent. It was OK. A good diversion but couldn't replace MW2. Think that I'd rank it above Blops enjoyment though.

I dunno man, I don't think it's for you.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2011, 12:53 PM

Well here's a retarded glitch...

Also, am I the only NNer that bought this? Frankly I'm shocked that neither Bogues or apsolid bought this on release.

Demonhood
Administrator
Oct 26, 2011, 01:38 PM

The install discs are sitting next to my computer. I probably won't get to it until the weekend.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
The install discs are sitting next to my computer. I probably won't get to it until the weekend.
I meant of the console brethren, but point taken.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2011, 02:47 PM

It sounds like the console brethren are still having fun on GoW3. It looks like you're the only one that took the plunge.
MacBook Pro

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2011, 03:10 PM

I was 99% sold on it until I was disappointed by the Beta and enthralled by other games. Plus, there's no option to mute the combat dialogue.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2011, 03:24 PM

I was 99% sold on it until I was disappointed by the Beta and enthralled by other games. Plus, there's no option to mute the combat dialogue.
"This combat dialogue is ****ing me in ass! Get the **** out of here, F-bomb coming!"

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
It sounds like the console brethren are still having fun on GoW3. It looks like you're the only one that took the plunge.
No one who plays Black Ops.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2011, 08:40 PM

Had my first MVP game. Defending with some weird Anti-Air vehicle? Just kept planting myself and unleashing hell on their transports and unsuspecting runners. Half-way through the match they realized I was destroying them so they started sending RPGs my way, but I'd just wipe away the engineers then get out and repair my vehicle. Finished up 26-3, leveled the anti-air thingy four and half times(!) and crushed my closest competitor by 1000 points.

Awesome.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2011, 10:17 AM

Had my first MVP game. Defending with some weird Anti-Air vehicle? Just kept planting myself and unleashing hell on their transports and unsuspecting runners. Half-way through the match they realized I was destroying them so they started sending RPGs my way, but I'd just wipe away the engineers then get out and repair my vehicle. Finished up 26-3, leveled the anti-air thingy four and half times(!) and crushed my closest competitor by 1000 points.

Awesome.
Stuff like that will make me buy it, and then I'll bitch here about being disappointed. You've been warned.

Joking apart, is it "26-3 MW2 awesome" or is it awesome just because you haven't played a CoD style game in a while?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2011, 10:20 AM

It's a different awesome. Some of it was quite boring and a little monotonous (I was essentially camping), but in the early going with a game I barely know, it's encouraging.

Edit: Piloting a helicopter in this game is so difficult I'm doing research online. Pitch, yaw, roll... must learn.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2011, 10:41 AM

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2011, 11:09 AM

Edit: Piloting a helicopter in this game is so difficult I'm doing research online. Pitch, yaw, roll... must learn.
That's something that would put me off. I much prefer the simplicity of Homefront.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
That's something that would put me off. I much prefer the simplicity of Homefront.
Yeah, I agree, but it's also for balancing reasons. Apparently BC2 was full of unbeatable strafe-circling helis.

From what I learned last night and what I've read, my issue might just be changing the controls to something more intuitive.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2011, 11:51 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2011, 04:43 PM

Visit the Battlelog forums for laughs:

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2011, 05:16 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2011, 05:20 PM

The Confederate flag just kills it. The person got ragged on hard and pretended to not understand why.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2011, 07:58 PM

EA are such mother****ers. The servers have gone down twice tonight, both when I was having good games. Each time the servers go down, you apparently lose all your stats from this game. DICE, that makes you idiots.

So glad I didn't pay full price for this bullshit.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2011, 03:32 AM

I'll be swapping Arkham City for BF3 at noon after reading the Ars review.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2011, 07:34 AM

Damn its difficult.

How to you decide where you should spawn?
What class are you trying to level up first?
Why are your team players both green and blue, whats the difference?

Not exactly what I was expecting, but I can see why people like it.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2011, 09:15 AM

Dakar, do you only have 2 game-types in the beginning and then get more as you level up? I only have Rush and Capture the flag atm.

I concur that flying a helicopter is bloody hard. But then the tank and other vehicles aren't exactly easy either (I've never done driving games on the Xbox before).

Combat takes place at much longer ranges than CoD, even when fairly close people don't seem as big to me.

Think that I may focus on one class for a while so that I can level it up a bit. I was chopping and changing classes in the match and I don't think that its the best way to play.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2011, 09:16 AM

I'll be swapping Arkham City for BF3 at noon after reading the Ars review.
It's worth noting I don't expect console reviews to be quite as glowing.

Damn its difficult.

How to you decide where you should spawn?
It doesn't matter because you're going to get spawn killed.

What class are you trying to level up first?
Honestly, much like Call of Duty, I really don't get to choose. The map and the flow of the game dictate what I do.

Why are your team players both green and blue, whats the difference?
Green is your three (and occasionally from this well-polished game, four) Squad-mates, who you can spawn on and who you receive better bonuses for assisting. Blue is the rest of your dumb, dumb team mates.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2011, 09:16 AM

Triple post, FTW.

Servers with 24 players and people from the US playing : NO lag. Bravo EA.
( Last edited by mattyb; Oct 28, 2011 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Damn, he gets in there just before my glory moment.)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2011, 09:18 AM

Triple post, FTW.

Servers with 24 players and people from the US playing : NO lag. Bravo EA.
That's funny, because I can still perceive when I'm dying on connection.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2011, 09:19 AM

A proper test of server perf will come this weekend, but during the hour or so at lunch I was impressed.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2011, 09:22 AM

Dakar, do you only have 2 game-types in the beginning and then get more as you level up? I only have Rush and Capture the flag atm.
Everything is available. How are you trying to play? Quickmatch or Server Browser?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2011, 10:17 AM

Everything is available. How are you trying to play? Quickmatch or Server Browser?
Tried both.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2011, 10:23 AM

Well, pick the specific game type in the Quickmatch screen. I think by default the Server Browser only filters for Conquest and Rush.

Also, sign you ass up here: Battlelog / Sign in so I can friend you and make fun of your stats.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2011, 11:00 AM

Well, pick the specific game type in the Quickmatch screen. I think by default the Server Browser only filters for Conquest and Rush.

Also, sign you ass up here: Battlelog / Sign in so I can friend you and make fun of your stats.
Already did : Ze_Veteran, but I can't login for some reason. Also couldn't join in-game even though I did all the code stuff.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2011, 11:04 AM

Does your actual tag have an underscore?

I love battlelog, the layout and usability far exceeds COD: Elite, but it being closed to the viewing public is awful, along with it not creating profiles for every person that plays.

Tried doing a player search for you, but nothing came up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules