Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MDD dual 1ghz vs. 1.25ghz imac????

MDD dual 1ghz vs. 1.25ghz imac????
treebark7182
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2004, 11:39 PM

My folks have a 1.25ghz 17'' imac and i have a dual 1ghz powermac. They both have 768 mb ram and i just ran the terminal benchmark test
openssl speed and the imac's came back higher than the powermacs..... does this sound right or is there something wrong here??

treebark7182  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2004, 11:41 PM

my powermac is a MDD just for a little more info....also if anyone has a reasonable way to quite the thing down i'd be much obliged i have a slot fan and its still whiny but at least its not wind tunnelling anymore.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 3, 2004, 12:24 AM

Some stupid test doesn't matter. The iMacs are jokes in comparison to the MDD Dualies. Rest assured.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2004, 01:47 AM

The dual processor PowerMacs have between 1MB to 2MB of level 3 cache per processor. The iMacs do not carry any level 3 cache. On the relatively slow 133-167MHz system buses on the G4-based machines, the presence of L3 cache can make a huge difference some (most) of the time.

On top of that, I'd trade a single 1.25GHz processor for two 1.0's any day.

I'm not sure the iMacs are "jokes" as PowerMacMan suggests, but the Pro line of machines is clearly more powerful.

Insofar as quieting an MDD Mac, check with Apple support to see if your machine qualifies for a power supply/fan swap kit. These were released some time last year to reduce the noise generated by certain MDD models.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2004, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
The iMacs are jokes in comparison to the MDD Dualies.
Simplistic statements as the above are jokes in comparison to true knowledge.

I actually own a dual 867MHz MDD PowerMac and a 1GHz iMac. The PowerMac is more powerful and it is certainly the more professional machine in the sense of expandability.

But the iMacs are indeed rather powerful especially when you compare their toy-ish look to the professional style of a PowerMac. They offer more bang than most people would expect (at least until they see the price).

If you're simply browsing with Safari and doing Office you won't notice big differences. If you're doing high-end work and lots of multitasking you will want the PowerMac. And yes, dual 1GHz G4s are probably always better than a single 1.25GHz G4 in OS X.

Each machine has its strength. One is quiet and compact, the other wants power w/o compromise. To each his/her own. Take what you want most. But don't let some test or anybody's simple patter confuse you.
( Last edited by Simon; Feb 3, 2004 at 09:36 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules