Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The new Gillette M3 Power; what do people think?

The new Gillette M3 Power; what do people think? (Page 2)
Stradlater  (op)
Professional Poster
May 24, 2004, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by ghost_flash:
Try an electric for the upper lip only and under the nose. I get burned when using an electric.
Eh, not a fan of mixing things around; when I used the Quattro I had to go back with the M3 for my upper lip.

Shave more often.
It's usually quite often, but if you miss a few days, I don't think your blade should clog.

The double-blade systems are not that great. Pretreat your face as well to soften up the hair, and you will get a smoother shave.
Which systems?

I almost always pretreat my face.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

cszar2001
Photo Architect
May 24, 2004, 02:55 PM

I use these: Wilkinson Extreme 3
I shave my face and my head three to four times a week. One of those razors lasts about 3 weeks.
With heavier use you get about 2 weeks.
Unbeatable at that price.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

fireside
Professional Poster
May 24, 2004, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
What exactly is a cut throat? The huge murder weaponish looking ones that barbers have?
Yep

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 24, 2004, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
Yep
Heh, I'm goood!

I always get a horrible rash from those things...

Well, maybe it has to do with the fact that I don't get shaved with them, my hairdresser just uses them for the li'l hairs on my neck and sides, and usually does it very rapidly (as in, four seconds!)...

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2004, 04:25 PM

i went to target near my house today and to the razor section. there was a big empty part with m3 power price tags everywhere but no razors.

i am almost in need of a new razor and i liked my old m3, which i left _somewhere_ on this planet.

anyone seen any of these around? the advert i saw for them on tv last night said they come out today.

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2004, 05:01 PM

Semi OT: How do you all shave? With the grain? Or against the grain? I do a scalding shower, then shave with gilette shaving cream using my mach 3. Even if it's a brand new blade I can't get anything but a 5 o'clock shadow by shaving with the grain. Against the grain? close shave but ingrown hair happens more often.

So what do you guys do?

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
May 24, 2004, 05:05 PM

Always *with* the grain! Never against. You could ruin your face.

Stradlater  (op)
Professional Poster
May 24, 2004, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower:
Semi OT: How do you all shave? With the grain? Or against the grain? I do a scalding shower, then shave with gilette shaving cream using my mach 3. Even if it's a brand new blade I can't get anything but a 5 o'clock shadow by shaving with the grain. Against the grain? close shave but ingrown hair happens more often.

So what do you guys do?
Usually shave in the shower with warm water with Gillette moisturizing gel. With the grain if I'm in a hurry, against if I want to look more cleanly shaven. I have darker, coarser hair, so it's hard to look completely-cleanly shaven.

Tip: don't wet with scalding/hot water, it'll dehydrate your skin faster and you won't get as clean a shave.

Stradlater  (op)
Professional Poster
May 24, 2004, 05:08 PM

Always *with* the grain! Never against. You could ruin your face.
Because of coarser, darker hair, some people _have_ to.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
May 24, 2004, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
Because of coarser, darker hair, some people _have_ to.
If you prep your face before shaving you should never ever ever ever go against the grain!

You can soften it up with a hot towel and moisturizer. 5 minutes and you'll be ready to shave.

Stradlater  (op)
Professional Poster
May 24, 2004, 05:22 PM

If you prep your face before shaving you should never ever ever ever go against the grain!

You can soften it up with a hot towel and moisturizer. 5 minutes and you'll be ready to shave.
I almost always prep my face before shaving; when I shave with the grain, I can always see stubble and easily feel it when brushing my hand against the grain afterwards.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
May 24, 2004, 05:25 PM

I almost always prep my face before shaving; when I shave with the grain, I can always feel stubble when brushing my hand against the grain afterwards.
You should then use a straight razor. You may be using too dull of a razor though.
Do you rinse with cold water? If so, that is your problem.. cold water increases the tension in the skin as it closes the pores, then your stubble with be apparent.

If you can learn to use a straight razor, you'll be in luck.

Otherwise, maybe look into a wet dry electric. You can use it in the shower. I've been considering this as well.

Stradlater  (op)
Professional Poster
May 24, 2004, 05:31 PM

Do you rinse with cold water? If so, that is your problem.. cold water increases the tension in the skin as it closes the pores, then your stubble with be apparent.

If you can learn to use a straight razor, you'll be in luck.

Otherwise, maybe look into a wet dry electric. You can use it in the shower. I've been considering this as well.
I usually don't rinse with cold water, but when I do it strangely seems better in the end. Electrics just don't seem to give a close shave in general.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2004, 07:56 PM

after a shower i use gillette shaving gel and shave with the grain.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2004, 08:05 PM

I may try it out. I haven't had a non-electric in a while. If I don't like it I'll probably go for a Panasonic wet/dry electric.

selfabduction68
Baninated
May 24, 2004, 08:39 PM

To any person gullible enough to purchase something this stupid, I have another product you might be interested in:

tornado!

-Rob

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
May 24, 2004, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by selfabduction68:
To any person gullible enough to purchase something this stupid, I have another product you might be interested in:

tornado!

-Rob
Ca$h,

Who are you replying to? It would help if you gave a quote...

Can you be any less scientific?

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2004, 10:11 PM

WTF? It actually vibrates the blades? What a gimmick.

I'll stick with my Mach3 Turbo.

Of course I use the knock-off blades- even though they tend to scrape and nick a little.

I'm kidding of course.

It occurs to me, an item so utterly mundane as a freakin' razor, is the one thing I allow myself to be hopelessly cash-cowed to some company for. I got the damn razor itself free in the mail, but they've got me with the dependence on blades. The things are an outrageous rip-off, yet I stick with it �cause the razor does deliver on a fast, smooth shave. Bastards.

talisker
Mac Elite
May 24, 2004, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:
WTF? It actually vibrates the blades? What a gimmick.
No, not a gimmick. In fact it serves a very useful purpose. It drives greater sales of batteries. And guess what one of Gillette's brands is? Duracell.

eizzumdm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2004, 12:29 AM

I've gone through a large number of electric and safety razors. I have an evil combination of dark, tough-to-cut whiskers and sensitive skin. I am always on the lookout for a product that will improve my shaving experience.

I have bought a Remington Microscreen, Panasonic Linear (the worst), Norelco Advantage, and a Braun Synchro (my current electric). Using just the electric, I can get off about 90% of a single day's growth after 20-30 minutes of shaving, so I usually just use it to touch up after a safety razor shave.

As for safety razors, I have in the past two years used the Sensor (2-bladed), the Mach 3, the XTreme 3, the Mach 3 Turbo, the Quattro, and now the M3 Power.

Was I a gullible victim of flashy green plastic and gimicky marketing? Maybe. Am I desperate for a good shave? Definitely. Have I been waiting for this thing ever since I first saw it on www.Gizmodo.com? Hell ya!

The razor I use most often is the Mach 3. The Mach 3 Turbo rips my neck and jaw to irritated shreds. Every time I have a lapse of reason and buy the Turbo blades, I regret it and revert back to the regular Mach 3. A coworker has a similarly bad record with the Turbo.

Does the vibrating part of the M3 do anything? Hard to tell. The vibrating does make my hand feel funny after using it. The three times I used it, though, the M3 gave me a close shave without irritating my face. I hardly needed to finish off with the Synchro.

I will add one thing. After watching the Queer Guys, I bought a shaving gel made by Zihr (www.Zihr.com) that they were whoring (er, recommending).They have a whole line of products that are expensive as hell. I just use the pre-shave oil (Prepare) and the Shave Gel. The combination of the two do seem to lubricate my face better than Edge Gel did.

So now my regimen is now a hot shower, the Zihr oil, a few fingerfuls of the Zihr goop, an initial shave with the M3 Power, and a finish-up shave with the Braun Synchro. That should do me fine until the next gimmick comes along.

talisker
Mac Elite
May 25, 2004, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by eizzumdm:
I can get off about 90% of a single day's growth after 20-30 minutes of shaving,
20-30 minutes of shaving? My whole shower, shave, sh..whatever routine takes about 20 minutes in total! And it's a decent shave. My gripe is primarily with the outrageous cost of blades.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 25, 2004, 12:47 AM

This cream makes a HUGE difference with whatever razor you use. I have tried them all and this one is the best:

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 05:45 PM

Now hands down, we all know the Mach3 Turbo is a LIFE CHANGING shaving experience hands down. I remember when my friend was like "TRY IT!" and i was like "nah man, it can't be that great..." man was i wrong.

Today i tried the new POWER model. Let me tell you...i was SHOCKED.

I literally took ONE STROKE, never had to go back to a spot that i missed. Hands down the closest shave i've ever had!! You'd think the battery and the hair raising etc is a gimmick. Maybe it is, but man alive am i silky smooth!

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2004, 05:48 PM

I also bought one. I do have to go over some areas multiple times, mainly on my neck and chin. It's the best shave I've had from a non-electric razor and it doesn't irritate my skin as much as the electric, so I'll probably keep using it. But the shave definitely isn't as close as my electric.

Stradlater  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2004, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
...the shave definitely isn't as close as my electric.
How long have you been consistently using a non-electric razor (no intermittent electric shavings)? When switching shaving methods, it takes a little while to "train" your face and get a closer shave. A non-electric should give you a closer shave once you (and your face) are used to it.

I think I'm staying away from the M3 power for now; I'm even thinking about giving the straight razor a shot...I think I should do more research, though.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2004, 06:03 PM

How long have you been consistently using a non-electric razor (no intermittent electric shavings)? When switching shaving methods, it takes a little while to "train" your face and get a closer shave. A non-electric should give you a closer shave once you (and your face) are used to it.

I think I'm staying away from the M3 power for now; I'm even thinking about giving the straight razor a shot...I think I should do more research, though.
I don't know how much I buy into the claims that it takes time to get used to the new razor, but I've been using the M3 Power consistently for about 3 weeks. I figured it was cheap enough to try, and I was just about fed up with electric shavers. Regardless of how close it shaves, I definitely like it more than my electric, my skin isn't nearly as irritated.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Jun 15, 2004, 08:14 PM

Forgive me if I repost someone else's message....

Sharper Image came out with a razor like a this a few years ago. It was the original Mach 3 head on a vibrating razor handle. At first it worked great, but literally about a month later the thing stopped working. I went to Sharper Image and they replaced it, and it did the same thing a month later. I picked up a Power just becuase I saw it at the store and was overcome with an impulsive need to have another razor, even though I had recently been to Costco and purchased about a years worth of Mach 3 heads.

What I wonder now is, where does the technology of shaving go from here? The cosmetic corporations can surely tease us with yet another blade -- but I personally don't see any new milestones in this area. Of course, there is the possibility of hybrid utilities such as the M3 Power/M3 Plaque Remover.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2004, 04:19 AM

Originally posted by SOLIDAge:
Today i tried the new POWER model. Let me tell you...i was SHOCKED.
Sounds like you should sue.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2004, 05:20 AM

As per my post on the previous page, IO bought a fixed head item razor and a Murker Vision 2000.

I have pretty tough stubble, and have tried them all, Mach 3, Quattro etc etc but from my recent tests, nothing comes close to a good fixed head old style razor. I am *amazed*, and will never go back to the gillette crooks.

I have instigated a new shaving regime:

Place *very* hot flannel over face for about 1 minute.

Apply shaving oil.

Apply Shaving foam.

Shave!

People I have known for years have commented that they have never seen me so clean shaven, and have asked me how I have done it!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2004, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
As per my post on the previous page, IO bought a fixed head item razor and a Murker Vision 2000.

I have pretty tough stubble, and have tried them all, Mach 3, Quattro etc etc but from my recent tests, nothing comes close to a good fixed head old style razor. I am *amazed*, and will never go back to the gillette crooks.

Aren't they just great? Try the platinum coated blades for extra smoothness. I love my Merkur. A proper man's razor. You'll never find your girlfriend 'borrowing' it.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2004, 12:00 PM

I got the M3 Power a couple weeks ago. I don't know if that vibrating does anything but I do know that the razor itself is very very good. I had the old Mach 3 and it was ok, this one is a noticeable improvement.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Sod Off Sadr
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: I sent hundreds of followers to their deaths. Then I cut and ran. Now I'm livin' large somewhere in Najaf.
Jun 16, 2004, 07:58 PM

Mach 3 is good. Schick Quattro sucks. I tried it and it tears up my face without shaving as close as the M3. I won't buy the Power b/c of cost. M3 turbo is very good.
You heard me! Sod off, Sadr!

Forum Links
Forum Rules