Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > powerbook network problems

powerbook network problems
treebark7182
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2004, 07:18 PM

I have never setup a network before. Im trying to do a few things. I can use the internet with my powerbook but i want to make it so i can share lots of files between my laptop and my powermac. I also want to be able to print from my laptop wirelessly. The last thing i want to do is to make it so my connection cant be shared with ther people in my appartment complex. My laptop has a airport card of course and my powermac is hooked into an ethernet cable from the wireless router. How do i do this stuff.....

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 05:19 AM

Check 'Sharing' in the System Prefs ... there are some boxes to check there of you want to share files across machines like 'AppleShare' or 'FileSharing' ... Once enabled you'll get the address of the machine (under checkbox' window), you should then be able to connect to that Mac from your PB using that address ( something like //10.0.0.1/username ) it worked for me ... hope it works for you ... there is also a lot on this at the Apple Website

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

f1000
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2004, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by treebark7182:
I also want to be able to print from my laptop wirelessly.
Under System Preferences/Print & Fax/ on your PowerMac, check the box Share my printers with other computers. I'm assuming that the printer in question is connected to your PowerMac.

Originally posted by treebark7182:
The last thing i want to do is to make it so my connection cant be shared with ther people in my appartment complex. My laptop has a airport card of course and my powermac is hooked into an ethernet cable from the wireless router. How do i do this stuff.....
Use MAC address filtering to restrict access to your AirPort signal. Use Wi-Fi encryption to prevent packet-sniffing. Your router's help files should explain the specifics.

Forum Links
Forum Rules