Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G5 memory error?

iMac G5 memory error?
AshUK
Oct 10, 2004, 09:41 AM

I got my new iMac G5 last week and installed 2 512MB DIMM's from Crucial, there the ones that were for the iMac G5 on their memory selector, but Apple Hardware Test shows an error when both of them are in, i've tried turning them around and checking tyhem individually but there fine.
Problem is that when there both in (serving a 128 bus) OS X seems to have a kernal panic nown again and apps crash, they work fine when only one of them is in?
Can anyone give me any help on this matter cause it's baffeled me.

toti
Oct 10, 2004, 09:58 AM

Have you tried both of them 'solo' ?

If so, try the following. Have a 512MB stick as a primary stic, and use the 256MB stick you got from apple as the secondary one ( I know, you won't get the full speed, but that's irrelevant for the moment )

If you still get crashes, swap out the 512MB stick for the other 512MB stick

If you still get crashes, you may want to have an Apple technician take a look at your machine, more specifically at the second DIMM slot, as that may be faulty.

Also, according to the crucial page your memory should be PC3200 CL3 ( CT407770 ) You may want to verify that you did indeed get the correct parts

AshUK  (op)
Oct 10, 2004, 10:05 AM

i've tried a single 512 in dimm 1 and 2, both work properly, and i tried then other module in both one and two and they oth worki fine too.
it seems that when there both in and running at 128 bit bus it seems to have errors?

AshUK  (op)
Oct 10, 2004, 10:10 AM

I just looked on the label and it says CT6464Z40B yet the same one but on the iMac G5 selector says CT407783

Whats the difference?

toti
Oct 10, 2004, 10:50 AM

No difference from what I can see. They have identical specifications.

I think contacting Cruicial should be the next step, and ask them. They ought to know what's wrong.

If they don't, it's an issue for Apple.

And it's better to go through the correct channels than to take guesswork from an online forum

Forum Links
Forum Rules