Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > DVD write speed slow on iMac G5

DVD write speed slow on iMac G5
discotronic
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2004, 12:04 PM

I have an iMac G5 1.8GHz. I know the Superdrive is supposed to write a DVD at 4X but I haven't had one to do it yet. I've used several different brands of media including Sony, Memorex, cheapo CompUSA brand and more. All of them where 4X media but the fastest I have written is 2X. Anyone have any suggestions?

hldan
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by discotronic:
I have an iMac G5 1.8GHz. I know the Superdrive is supposed to write a DVD at 4X but I haven't had one to do it yet. I've used several different brands of media including Sony, Memorex, cheapo CompUSA brand and more. All of them where 4X media but the fastest I have written is 2X. Anyone have any suggestions?
Well you didn't mention Apple's media so that's my suggestion. Aftermarket media generally can be a crap shoot with Apple's Superdrives as the drive tends to spin down to a much lower speed than the media is capable of burning.
Also Toast Titanium is another suggestion for burning DVD's. It generally burns at max speed of the Superdrive but again, it's best to use Apple's media.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Rychiar
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2005, 05:05 PM

who in ther right mind would use apple media tho. Their expensivbe and not available many places. my $15.99 50 pack of tdk dvd-r's from best buy work just fine
iMac G5 1.8 ghz 20in. 1.5 gigs RAM, 250 gig Harddrive, Fully Wireless
60 Gig Original Overpriced iPod photo
Power Mac G4 450 768 Megs RAM
5 Gig Original iPod (RIP 12-20-04) :(

discotronic  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 05:35 PM

At this point the write speed isn't hurting me in any way except for time. I don't understand how I can purchase 4X media from multiple companies and still only write at 2X. Apple's media is just way out in left field when it comes to price and they just purchase the disks from one of those aftermarket companies anyway. I use both Toast and the Finder but it is the same on both.

Forum Links
Forum Rules