Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Best way to get tv input to an iMac 600?

Best way to get tv input to an iMac 600?
kenazo
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2002, 01:54 PM

I'm trying to find the best way to get tv capture capability on my iMac. Which usb tv tuners work the best? Or do they even work acceptably? Maybe the best way is a firewire video capture hooked to my vcr? Lmk what you think or what your experience has been.
Thanks!

str1
Jan 6, 2002, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by kenazo:
<STRONG>I'm trying to find the best way to get tv capture capability on my iMac. Which usb tv tuners work the best? Or do they even work acceptably? Maybe the best way is a firewire video capture hooked to my vcr? Lmk what you think or what your experience has been.
Thanks!</STRONG>
Hiya.

I'm using both the XLR8 Interview II (USB) and the Dazzle DV-Bridge (Firewire) on my iMac 400. The Dazzle unit is *vastly* superior, but is pricey. It also doesn't come with *any* software. With the Interview, you get strata videoshop AND a QT pro registration. The USB unit is not compatible with OS X, however. But then...if you use the Dazzle unit, you'll most likely be using a firewire hard drive for capture since the files are so big�and I'm running into some *horribly* frustrating behavior out of my Que! M3 drive when moving large files around. And believe me, DV files are massive.

If all you want to do is watch TV on your Mac and make some small quicktime movies, get the USB unit. You can't make VCDs or do anything super-fancy, but it gets the job done. If you want to use iMovie to make more complex and higher-quality movies, get the Dazzle.

Hope this helps. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Cheers
Scott

rtdunham
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2002, 01:14 AM

I'm using the Eskape MyTV device and it's doing everything it's supposed to. It's a simple external USB device.

peace
terry

PseuFighter
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2002, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by rtdunham:
<STRONG>I'm using the Eskape MyTV device and it's doing everything it's supposed to. It's a simple external USB device.

peace
terry</STRONG>
I'm considering a MyTV device. What do you think of the quality, rtdunham? I hear, when at it's max, the quality is far from superior... But then again, I have no room to put a TV in here, so a tuner would be great for my iMac.
Let's show 'em why Macworld 2003 won't be like Macworld 2002.

Forum Links
Forum Rules